Raw tomato juice is an ideal food due to its nutritional properties, which include sources of vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6, along with minerals such as magnesium, iron and phosphorus.
20 reasons to drink tomato juice
In a balanced diet, tomato juice can help prevent heart disease if consumed regularly. All the vitamins and minerals contained in tomatoes have various benefits that directly affect both health and beauty, as established by various scientific researches.
- Helps purify the body:Tomato juice has purifying properties thanks to the content of chlorine and sulfur . ( 1 ) Since the liver and kidneys are responsible for the detoxification of the body, the body needs to keep them in excellent health. Chlorine helps both organs to function properly while sulfur protects them from infection.
- Strengthens the immune system: Daily consumption of tomatoes increases the percentage of vitamin C in the blood, which inhibits levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. So drinking tomato juice helps relieve tension and stress.
- Prevents the onset of cardiovascular diseases: researchers from Tufts and Boston University, confirmed that high levels of lycopene have been linked to almost a 30% reduction in the incidence of cardiovascular disease and coronary heart disease, respectively, according to the results published in the British Journal of Nutrition ( 3 ).
- Reduces the damage caused by smoking: tomato juice is a source of coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid, both of which can protect the body from the carcinogens released into the body from cigarette use.
- It has high levels of phytonutrients:few vegetables can compete with tomatoes when it comes to phytonutrients. These include flavonoids, flavonols, hydroxycinnamic acids, carotenoids and glycosides. Each of these phytonutrients contributes to protecting the body from oxidative stress, helping to prevent neurodegenerative diseases ( 4 ).
- Facilitates the prevention of kidney stones and bladder:tomato juice acts as a natural disinfectant helping to prevent the appearance of kidney stones and gallstones in the long term. It also helps reduce the incidence of problems that can arise in the urinary tract.
- Essential source of vitamins: tomato juice provides our body with an enormous amount of natural vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, vitamin K , vitamin B1, B3, B5, B6, B7, vitamin C, folic acid, iron, potassium, magnesium, chromium, choline, zinc, and phosphorus ( 5 ).
- Fights breast cancer: research published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute shows that more carotenoids, including alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, lycopene and total carotenoids may have a reduction in cancer risk to breast ( 6 ).
- Restores biochemical balance: According to new research in the journal Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, lycopene in tomatoes and introduced into guinea pigs has shown positive effects with the potential to restore biochemical balance in diabetic patients ( 7 ).
- Improves eyesight, protecting the eyes: Since tomatoes are a rich source of beta, lutein, zeaxanthin and carotene phytonutrients, they can help improve vision and protect the eyes from degenerative diseases.
- Contrasts homocysteine: tomato juice is rich in vitamin B6, which is able to help the body to eliminate the possible damage of homocysteine, an amino acid that, if left out of control, can cause damage to the cardiovascular system ( 8 ).
- It brings benefits to the prostate: Tomatoes are rich in fibers essential for keeping the colon healthy, while alpha-tomatine, one of the nutrients contained in the tomato, has recently become of particular interest to help prevent prostate cancer ( 9 ). Alpha-tomatin is a glycoalkaloid that has demonstrated innate capacity to alter metabolic activity in the development of prostate cancer cells. It has also been shown to trigger programmed cell death (apoptosis) in prostate cancer cells that have already been fully formed.
- They help burn fat faster:tomato juice stimulates the production of carnitine, a scientifically proven amino acid capable of burning fat 30% faster in a regime of physical activity.
- Can help prevent stroke: New research in the Harvard Health Letter magazine has found that tomato-rich diets can help prevent strokes ( 10 ). Scientists have linked the results to the rich content of tomato lycopene.
- Cooking does not completely destroy lycopene: although tomato juice is better if eaten raw, tomatoes can enhance the flavor of almost any cooked dish. All this, despite a loss of vitamin C during the cooking process, greatly increases the levels of beneficial phytochemicals. The study shows that heat treatment actually improved the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing the content of lycopene.
- It improves digestion and prevents constipation:tomato juice contributes positively to improving the functioning of the digestive system and the liver and preventing constipation, especially when mixed with spinach juice.
- It coagulates the blood: tomatoes help reduce the risk of blood clots. Excessive aggregation of platelet cells can cause problems for our bloodstream in terms of unwanted blockage and clotting, and the prevention of this excessive aggregation is important for maintaining heart health. Numerous phytonutrients in tomatoes have been shown to help prevent excessive aggregation of our platelet cells.
- Strengthens the bones:the juice also helps to keep the bones healthy allowing an easier integration of calcium. It is interesting to note that drinking tomato juice not only helps bone health but also involves high amounts of antioxidants.
- It is useful for the health of the scalp:Drinking tomato juice constantly improves the appearance and texture of the hair, and since it is rich in vitamin K, it helps to strengthen the tufts of hair and increase its shine as well as the revival of growth.
- Makes the skin soft and radiant: the components contained in tomato juice help fight acne and prevent damage to skin cells ( 11 ). Drinking two cups of tomato juice a day helps improve the overall appearance of the skin in a short period of time.
How to prepare tomato juice:
Depending on the tomatoes, the result may vary, but to make one liter of tomato juice we will need about 3 kilos of fresh tomatoes, avoid canned ones. It is also possible to add a clove of minced garlic .
To this you can either drink the fresh juice by blending it or cook it in a saucepan over medium heat for about ten minutes.
During cooking the tomatoes, it is advisable to avoid aluminum pans as the high acid content of the tomatoes can interact with the metal of the cookware. As a result, there may be migration of aluminum into food, which can not only impart an unpleasant taste, but more importantly, it can have a potentially unwanted impact on health.
As much as possible, try to develop recipes that make use of the whole tomato.
We have seen the research showing the highest content of lycopene in whole tomato products. For example, when tomato skins are included in the preparation of tomato sauce, the lycopene and beta-carotene contents are significantly higher.