Although nature is somewhat beautiful , urban landscapes at some point also end up being so. The large buildings with eccentric and innovative shapes are captivating to the eye, becoming true works of art .
Baroque architecture , Gothic architecture , Renaissance architecture , Roman architecture
What is modern architecture?
The modern architecture , which is often confused a lot with the modernist ; it simply refers to a set of currents or styles that, as its name indicates, are found within architecture , which has been formed since the 20th century in every corner of the world. This style is taken as a “new” concept which has taken the best of each architectural style adapting it to this century , thus achieving true habitable pieces of art.
- What does it consist of
- Characteristics of modern architecture
- Modern architecture styles
- Representatives of modern architecture
What does it consist of
The modern architecture is a style totally simplified with respect to the forms for its part lacks any kind of ornamenta consciously since it inherently related to classical compositions as Roman , similarly has substituted aesthetics which It is intertwined with other styles of this century.
At the same time, it has included the use of new materials such as reinforced concrete and steel structures , as well as the use of new technologies to project and construct “prototypes” of the building at no cost in order to understand its final completion.
Characteristics of modern architecture
Among the main characteristics of modern architecture are:
- They become practically emblems within the cities where they are found.
- They are usually requested by large companies to house all their administrative part.
- Each construction of this architectural style far exceeds $ 5 million in construction costs.
- It is mostly made up of straight and flat lines and angles.
- It incorporates “new” materials that in former times were not used for construction.
- The architects who design these structures are considered true artists.
Among the different antecedents that make up modern architecture are:
- “Belle époque” and “Fin de siècle” : Modernism .
- The First World War : neoplasticismo and expressionism .
- Interwar period , totalitarianism and impact of the avant-gardes: « Art deco».
- In England : Arts and Crafts.
- In France , Belgium , Austria , Italy , Spain : ” Modernism ” and its labels.
- In Germany : Werkbund and Bauhaus .
- In the United States : « Balloonframe » and Chicago School.
Modern architecture begins to develop from the second half of the XX . It is at this time that critical alternatives begin to emerge that give rise to new forms of architecture. This continues until the end of the 20th century when currents emerged around the world that began to wonder what modernity really was . Thus, deconstructionism and postmodern architecture emerged and gave way to the 21st century whose architecture is characterized by both abundance and the variety of works, styles and creators .
Modern architecture styles
First half of the century
- Modern architecture
- Art deco
- Bauhaus school
- Russian constructivism
- Architecture of totalitarianisms or architecture of dictators
- Stalinist architecture (in: Stalinistarchitecture Moscow Metro)
- Fascist architecture
- Nazi architecture
- Neo herreriano, imperial or national catholic (in the Spanish postwar period – in Francoism / Architecture-)
- Functionalism (architecture)
- Architectural rationalism
- Organic architecture
- International style
Second half of the century to the present day:
- Brutalist architecture
- Postmodern architecture
- Deconstructivist architecture
- High Tech architecture
- Sustainable architecture sustainable design
- Computer Aided Design (CAD or CAO)
Among the most used materials in modern construction are reinforced concrete , which is a kind of sand- based material and a chemical compound which is poured into columns created by beam structures (large iron bars) in where it hardens and gives total stability to the structure. In turn, work with steel structures is also started , which is much lighter and more moldable than iron.
Among the most outstanding buildings of modern architecture are:
- The White Towers.
- The Portland Building.
- The AT&T building.
- Lloyd’s building.
- The HSBC building.
- Lake Shore Drive Apartments.
- The Woolworth Building.
- The twin towers.
With the passage of time, the world has evolved in such a way that everything today is simplified, and architecture is not far behind. Currently all architectural designs are made using programs that even show simulations of what architectural works will look like once completed.
Among the works of modern architecture in the world are:
- The Fagus Factory (1911-25) Alfeld on the Leine.
- The Bauhaus School Building (1925) in Dessau.
- Lovell House (1929) Los Angeles.
- Villa Savoy (1929-30) Poissy-sur-Seine.
- Lake Shore Drive Apartments (1948-51) Chicago.
- The Graduate Center (1950) Harvard University.
- Seagram Building (1954-58) New York.
- Inland Steel Building (1957) Chicago.
- Bio-home for convalescent children (1960) Arnhem.
- Dominion Bank Tower (1967-91) Toronto.
- Lake Point Tower (1968), Chicago.
- John Hancock Center (1969) Chicago.
- IBM Building (1971) (now 330 North Wabash) New York.
- Sears / Willis Tower (1974) Chicago.
Representatives of modern architecture
Among the representatives of modern architecture in the world are:
- Owings & Merrill.
- Mies van der Rohe.
- George Schipporeit.
- John Heinrich.
- Mies van der Rohe.
- Philip Johnson.
- Mies van der Rohe.
- Le Corbusier.