Meglevesh (cold cherry soup). This delicious cherry and cream soup, with a sweet flavor, leaves everyone delighted. The surprise is that it is not a dessert, but it works as a food entree. It is served cold and is a dish that is never lacking in summer.
[ hide ]
- 1 Origin
- 2 Recipe
- 1 Ingredients
- 2 Preparation
- 3 options
- 4 Sources
It is a typical Hungarian dish, originally called meggyleves ( sour cherry soup ), or hideg meggyleves (cold sour cherry soup). It is a mixture of the sweetness of the cherry and spices, with the acidity of the sour cream and the lemon , and the grace is to take it very cold. But as soup and not as dessert, as some do. It’s very easy to do.
- 1 kilo of pitted cherries
- 1 lemon
- To thicken: 1 tablespoon of flour , 3 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt and milk
- Put the cherries in a pot with water , two lemon slices (with the peel), cinnamon and sugar to taste and cook over low heat, until tender. Since the soup should be sweet and sour, it is advisable to add a little sugar first and check. If necessary, supplement with a little lemon juice .
- Mix the flour with the yogurt , the milk and add a little of the boiled liquid of the soup. Stir well until the lumps disappear and remain as a thick cream. Add everything to the pot and bring it to a boil again.
- Let cool, serve with a tablespoon of yogurt and garnish with mint leaves .
- When serving you can decorate with a little of the cream , and a mint leaf
- Optionally you can add half a cup of red wine along with the cream, or at the end.
- In general this soup is served with the pieces of fruit , but you can grind the sour cherries with a processor and strain them.