Lexicography is the branch of linguistics that studies the methods of the preparation of dictionary.Many activities are involved in the science of lexicography such as design, compilation, and gathering corpus based data systematically. The term lexicography refers to the science that deals with the syntax and general structure of dictionaries.
As a science, lexicography is divided into two branches: the theoretical and the practical. The practical lexicography refers to the technique for recording of dictionaries issue while the theoretical branch refers with the analysis and description of meanings, and examples for the understanding of the terms.The lexicography is a subject linguistic which involves the preparation of dictionaries and lexicons, through the collection, classification and definition of the words.
You Must Know the Facts Between Lexicology and Lexicography
They have very close relationship. Lexicology without lexicography will not make a good product dictionary, for the users. However, the science of lexicography is part of applied linguistics.
Technically, Researchers have explained that lexicography is the science which deals with five main steps in preparing a dictionary, namely:
- Collect data (vocabulary)
- Selecting the approach and method of preparation of the dictionary will be pursued
- Construct words according to certain systematic
- Writing materials, and
- Publish the results of the codification of the language or the dictionary
Types of dictionaries
A. Type Description
B. Count described languages
C. Quantitative and qualitative richness of the nomenclature
D. corpus of apprehension Mode
E. Status synchronic and diachronic.
The Functions of lexicographical:
- Conducts research in the following areas:
- The design and the preparation of dictionaries and other lexical tools.
- Compiling lexicographical file.
- The creation of lexical databases for web applications
- The use of dictionaries and lexical tools in teaching Greek
- The training of young scientists and teachers in electronic and lexicography issues.
- In support of scientific debate around lexicography.
- The continuation of the Dictionary.
The basic lexicographical works produced today are the dictionary, encyclopedia and corpus. The dictionary is a book in which the words of a language is sorted alphabetically. The corpus is the most extensive and ordered set of data which can provide a basis for investigation of texts. The encyclopedia is a work or group of works in which a large number of knowledge of one or more subjects or sciences is exposed.
Among the main uses made in lexicography of information can be highlighted:
- word processor
- database management
- textual analysis
- grammatical analysis
- Desktop Publishing