Hybrid computer. Combination between analog and digital computers. They are mainly used for process control and robotics. Hybrid computers were developed to complement the flexibility of digital computers with the speed of analog computers. Users need to have knowledge of analog and digital computing.
The analog section of hybrid computers is used to give approximate solutions, which is then obtained in the digital section. The latest hybrid computers do not allow searching on tables, presenting the advantage over analog computers since they cannot simulate it easily.
The output of the analog section of the hybrid computer is edited by the digital section and printed in the most convenient way. Methods are needed to convert an analog form to digital and vice versa, the same methods are used are used to interrelate a digital computer in the physical world.
An example that we find of these interrelationships are temperature control systems and image scanning.
[ hide ]
- 1 Hybrids
- 2 Classification by Application
- 1 General Purpose
- 2 Special Purpose
- 3 Analog computer
- 4 Digital computer
- 5 Operation
- 6 Applications
- 7 Importance
- 8 Sources
Combine the most favorable features of digital and analog computers have the speed
analogue and digital precision. They are generally used in special problems in which the input data comes from measurements converted to digits and is processed by a Computer, for example Hybrid Computers control the radar of the United States defense and commercial flights.
Classification by Application
- They can process Business Information as easily as they process complex mathematical formulas.
- They can store large amounts of information and the large programs necessary to process it. Because general application computers are so diverse, most companies today use them.
- They have many of the features of general purpose computers but are dedicated to very specialized processing tasks.
- They are designed to handle specific problems and do not apply to other computerized activities. For example, special application computers can be designed to exclusively process numerical data or to fully control automated manufacturing processes.
- A simulator is an example of computers for specific use and can be a simulator for flight, training, and in other fields such as nursing, operating room technology, nuclear power plant management, space flight , athletics , marine exploration , etc.
In general, analog computers are extremely fast, since they can solve the most complex equations for the rat in which a signal passes through the circuit, which is generally an appreciable fraction of the speed of light . On the other hand, the precision of analog computers is not good; they are limited to three, or at most, four digits of precision.
Digital computers can be built to bring equation solving to almost limitless precision, but in an extremely slow way compared to analog computers. Generally, complex equations are approximated using iterative number methods that take large numbers of iterations, depending on how good the “initial guess” is with respect to
Digital computers can be built to bring equation solving to almost limitless precision, but in an extremely slow way compared to analog computers. Generally, complex equations are approximated using iterative number methods that take large numbers of iterations , depending on how good the “initial guess” is with respect to the final value and how much precision is desired.
This initial conjecture is known as the number seed for the iterative process. For many real-time operations, the speed of such digital calculations is too slow to be of much use (eg, for very high-frequency radars or for time calculations), however, the accuracy of an analog computer is poor.
Hybrid computers can be used to obtain a very good but relatively imprecise value, using an analog computer as a front-end, which is then fed into an iterative process of the digital computer to achieve the final desired degree of precision. With a highly accurate three or four digit seed, the total digital computation time required to achieve the desired precision is dramatically reduced, since much fewer iterations are required.
Currently you can find computer applications in all fields of human activity that are important to all people because they make our work easier and faster; some of them require computers designed for a specific purpose. Hybrid computers can be found at:
- Scientific research: the computer is used as an instrument for solving mathematical calculations, numerical counts, etc.
- Technical applications: these are applications in which the computer is used as a tool to facilitate engineering designs, commercial product designs, drawing plans, etc.
- Control systems: they consist of remote control mechanisms designed for use in private and industrial homes. For example, household appliances, turning lights on or off, defrosting the refrigerator, starting the coffee maker, regulating heating or air conditioning , etc.
Hybrid computers, like the others, have their importance, it is due to their versatility and precision for which they are important, but we can also add their easy integration with all existing processes, and can be modified for specific processes in a way very easy.