Talking to multiple people individually can be tedious, especially when it comes to coordinating with your team, friends, or family members for a special project. IMessage group chats on iPhone allow users to send one message to multiple contacts without installing a third-party app.
If you’re wondering how to use iMessage groups to create a group chat on iPhone, relax! This is a detailed guide for you! But before we get started, let’s take a look at the types of iPhone group chats.
Types of group chats on iPhone and iPad
On iPhone, you can create three types of group chats:
- Group iMessages: You can create an iMessage group chat only if you and everyone else in the group owns Apple devices with group settings enabled. To do this, go to “Settings” → “Messages” → “Turn on group messaging”.
These messages appear as blue text bubbles, require an internet connection, and are sent via Apple.
iMessage allows you to:
- Send and receive stunning message effects, photos, videos and audio messages.
- Change the name and photo of the group, add or remove people from the group, turn off notifications and leave the group.
- Share your location as well as your name and photo.
- Group MMS chats: An MMS group chat is created when one of the group members does not have an Apple device. These messages appear as green text bubbles and are sent through your carrier. They don’t require an internet connection.
Note : To create an MMS group chat, go to Settings → Messages → enable MMS messages.
MMS group allows:
- Send and receive photos and videos.
- Disable notifications.
- Group SMS Chats: Group SMS chat is similar to MMS group and messages are also displayed in green text bubbles. These messages are also sent through your carrier and do not require an internet connection to use them. You can send texts only in such a group.
Note : The Messages app automatically creates a group chat based on your iPhone’s settings.
Now let’s check out the following steps to create a group chat:
How to create a group chat on iPhone
- Open messages.
- Click “Write” in the upper right corner.
- You can enter a contact’s name or press + to add it from your contact list.
- Then enter your text in the Subject field and click the Submit icon.
That’s all! You have successfully started a group conversation on your iPhone or iPad.
How to add someone to a group chat on iOS
- Open a group chat in Messages.
- Tap the small arrow below the group name.
- Now tap information.
- Click Add Contact.
- Enter the contact’s name or click the + on the right to add a member from your contacts.
- Once selected, click Finish.
- Finally, click Finish.
Now that the group has been created, you can customize it. Let’s take a look at the different options for setting up a group chat.
Set up group chats on iPhone
Once you’ve created a group and added all members, you can change a few things to set up group chats.
Note : You can only customize your iMessage group chats.
Add or change the group name and photo:
- Open a group chat in Messages.
- Tap the small arrow below the group name, then tap information.
- Then click “Change name and photo”.
- Change the name of your group and choose from a variety of emoji or memoji for your group photo.
Note: You can also take a photo or select an image from your library. You can also choose from eight different styles.
- When finished, click Finish.
- Then click Finish again to confirm.
- Click Finish again to exit the tab.
Disable group chat:
- Under the group name, click the small arrow to display the icons.
- Select information.
- Turn on Hide Alerts.
Now you will not receive notifications if someone writes in a group chat. To enable audio in a group chat, follow the same steps and turn off the Hide Alerts option.
Leave a group chat:
- Tap the information under the group name again.
- Now scroll down and tap Leave Conversation.
- Tap Leave Conversation again to confirm.
Note : If you create a group of only two people, you cannot leave the group.
How to remove contacts from group chat on iPhone
- Tap the arrow below the group name and go to information.
- Now slide the specific contact name to the left.
- Tap Delete.
- Finally, click “Delete” again to confirm.
Note: If you create a group of two people, you cannot delete either of them.
Additional information: As a result of a group chat, you may have less memory than before due to the different media you get in the group chat. Be sure to read the article on how to remove a picture or video from the Messages app.
Here’s how you can create a group chat, add or remove members, and customize it to improve your chat experience without a third-party app.