This particular error code 0xc00d36fa appears when trying to play sound. Mostly it appears in all programs that can create audio, but sometimes the problem lies in the player. Therefore, the first tip is to try to play music using another application. For the most part, the root of the problem lies in the audio drivers, as well as in some inactive services that are involved in audio playback. We will now look at how to fix error 0xc00d36fa.
This error may look like:
Audio playback error 0xc00d36fa
Can’t play, We can’t find an audio device: Error 0xc00d36fa
- Guide to resolving error 0xc00d36fa
- Update audio input drivers
- Use a sound fixer
- Update sound drivers
- Restart Windows Audio Service
Guide to resolving error 0xc00d36fa
All repair procedures are relatively safe, which means that they can be performed without fear and system backup. We are 99% sure that one of the methods should help to eliminate the error 0xc00d36fa in Windows 10. At least those who mentioned that they had a similar error solved it in exactly these ways.
Update audio input drivers
Our very first action will be aimed at restoring the working state of the audio inputs and outputs. They may no longer be able to handle the headset properly, and that is the problem.
How to fix error 0xc00d36fa:
- Right-click on Start and select “Device Manager”.
- After the new window is displayed, open the “Audio Inputs and Audio Outputs” directory.
- Most likely there will be several items here, select the device with which the problem is observed, right-click on it and select “Update drivers”.
- We are trying to perform the “Automatic driver search”.
Usually the system already has a suitable driver, but not always. If that doesn’t work, it’s worth installing it manually. To do this, in the “Details” section in the driver properties there is an ID by which it is easiest to find software for the current hardware. It is better to carry out this procedure for all available devices. A problem in one of them can provoke a loss of sound on other devices.
Use a sound fixer
Windows 10’s built-in audio troubleshooting tool often fulfills its mission and finds problems with services, drivers, system files. If he doesn’t fix the crash, he might narrow his search.
How to run the tool:
- Press the key combination Win + I.
- In the “Settings” of the system, select “Update and Security”.
- We go to the “Troubleshooting” tab.
- We select the parameter “Play sound”.
There can be 3 results: the error was found and resolved, the problem was only found, the failure was not detected. In the first case, you do not need to do anything, in the second – to study the problem in more detail, in the third – just follow our instructions further.
Update sound drivers
Another common cause of silence in speakers is a problem with the sound drivers, but this can be easily fixed manually.
What do we have to do:
- Click on the Win + X key combination and select “Device Manager”.
- Open the list “Sound, game and video devices”. There may be several options here, and most likely you will have to update the drivers for each of them.
- Right-click on the first driver and select “Update”.
- We start an automatic search, the system must find the most suitable software.
- We repeat the procedure with other drivers.
If you haven’t updated Windows 10 for a long time, you may have to manually download sound drivers and install them on the system. You can also try manual search on this computer, the system will suggest a more suitable software.
Restart Windows Audio Service
I have personally seen several mentions that people have audio playback services and related services simply disabled. Perhaps, unknowingly, they turned it off themselves or used software to optimize the system.
Step-by-step instructions for restoring services:
- Go to the “Control Panel” (can be found through the search).
- Open the “Administration” block, and then select “Services” from the list.
- We are looking for “Windows Audio” in the list, double-click on it and transfer the “Startup type” to the “Automatic” state.
- You may not be able to start the service because it depends on other services. For it to work properly, you also need to enable Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), and Endpoint Mapper.
At one of the stages, the error playing sound 0xc00d36fa in Windows 10 should recede, since we have created all the conditions for its normal operation. All that remains is to empirically determine the cause and fix it, but this guide shouldn’t be a problem for users of all skill levels.