If you forgot your Windows 10 administrator password, you won’t be able to install any software. That is why it is important to recover the administrator password in Windows 10.
How to Recover Administrator Password in Windows 10
This is as important as creating an administrator user account in Windows 10 to manage your computer perfectly. And even, is it as important as knowing the permissions and am I an administrator in my Windows account?
Sometimes you won’t even be able to use your computer. Microsoft doesn’t make it easy to reset your password , but you do have a few options. In this tutorial we will show you easy ways to reset the forgotten password for the administrator account.
If the administrator account is a Microsoft account
If you want to recover administrator password in Windows 10, then you can reset forgotten Windows 10 administrator password is the same as reset Microsoft password .
The Microsoft account is the default account type in Windows 10. Therefore, you will most likely need to use the Microsoft account to protect your computer with a password.
In this case, if you only reset the Windows 10 password for your Microsoft account, the problem will be solved. These are the steps to follow.
- Access the Microsoft website from another computer or smartphone, select “I forgot my password” and click Next.
- On the next page, enter your email address or phone number associated with your Microsoft account and click Next.
- Notify Microsoft how you want to receive the security code and click Next.
- Enter the security code and go to the next page.
- Set a new password for your Microsoft account and complete the changes.
- Restart the computer and log into the system with the new password.
If the administrator account is a local account
If your administrator account is a local account, you will not be able to reset the password by following the method explained above. Instead, you will need to use the following two methods :
Unlock Forgotten Windows 10 Administrator Password With Password Reset Disk
Using a password reset disk is Microsoft’s official method of resetting a lost Windows password.
The only downside to this trick is that you have to create a disk to recover the administrator password in Windows 10 before the password is lost.
Most users don’t even bother to create a reset disk, but if you have created a password reset disk, you could easily set a new password to log into your Windows 10 computer.
If you’ve forgotten your Windows 10 computer password and created a reset disk, follow these simple steps to reset your password.
- At the first access to the Windows 10 login window, you just have to enter an incorrect password and the message “Reset password” will appear.
- Then insert the password reset disk into your computer and click the “Reset password” link.
- A new wizard will open to help you reset your password.
Change forgotten Windows 10 administrator password with CMD
- Press Win + X to open the quick access menu and open the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
- Type the following command and hit Enter.
- Replace the account name and new password with the username and password of your choice respectively.
Reset Windows 10 password with MSDaRT
DaRT is a suite of Microsoft tools that helps IT professionals recover computers that have become unusable.
Boot your computer with the DaRT Recovery CD and then launch the built-in Locksmith Assistant tool, which allows you to reset the Windows 10 password for any local account.
Unfortunately, DaRT is not free. This tool is only available to Microsoft volume customers , TechNet Plus subscribers, and MSDN subscribers.