You have been using Google Meet for some time now. You know the conference call platform of the Mountain View giant quite well, including its strengths and weaknesses. Speaking of flaws, one of these concerns the impossibility of changing the background, which was once the reality of the facts and which, fortunately, the Mountain View giant has decided to change.
If once upon a time it was necessary to resort to free extensions for the browser, through which you could (and, to be honest, you can still) apply a virtual background during your video conferences, now you can take advantage of a special function of Meet useful for this purpose. In the next paragraphs of this guide I will have the opportunity to illustrate it in detail, explaining how to put background on Meet both from smartphones and tablets and from computers.
If you are ready to start, make yourself comfortable, take all the time you need to concentrate on reading the next paragraphs and, more importantly, try to strictly follow the directions I will give you. There is nothing left for me to do but wish you a good read and, above all, a good time!
- Preliminary information
- How to put the wallpaper on Meet from smartphones and tablets
- How to put the wallpaper on Meet from a computer
Before proceeding and seeing in detail how to put background on Meet , I must provide you with some preliminary information relating to the operation in question. In particular, you must meet the minimum requirements , which I list below.
- Android 5.0 or later– you also need a compatible device, such as Samsung Galaxy S9 or later, Pixel 3 or later, etc.
- iOS / iPadOS 12 or later– you must also have a compatible device, such as iPhone 8 or later or fifth generation iPad or later.
On the desktop side, however, no particular requirement must be met, although I suggest you use the Chrome browser , to avoid operating problems.
Also keep in mind that using a virtual wallpaper on Meet could negatively affect the autonomy of the device: therefore deactivate it if the percentage of charge drops.
If everything is clear so far, let’s ban the chatter and move on to the practical side of the matter. Find all the information you need in the next chapters of the tutorial.
How to put the wallpaper on Meet from smartphones and tablets
If you want to know how to put the background on Meet from smartphones and tablets , know that basically you have to launch the Google Meet app on your Android or iOS / iPadOS device and, after starting the video call or taking part in an already started by another user (if you don’t know how to do it, you can refer to my guide dedicated to Meet ), then you have to call up the function that allows you to customize the background, choose the one of your interest and the game is practically done.
- On Android– if you want to insert the background before starting the call, press on the star symbol attached to the personal display panel (the one where you see yourself so to speak), choose the background to apply or, if you want to load a custom one , tap the (+) button and then press the End button and join the meeting. To act while the video call is in progress, on the other hand, press the (+) button , upload the photo to use as a background (otherwise use one of the funds already available) and press the (x) button to close the personalization screen.
- On iOS / iPadOS– if you want to put the background before participating in a call, press on the star symbol (in the personal view box) and choose the background you want to use by pressing on the preview of the one you are interested in or, if you prefer, press the (+) button to upload a photo to use for this purpose and, when you are ready to do so, press the Finish button and join the call by pressing the appropriate button. To put the background during the video call, on the other hand, presses on the “usual” icon of the stars present in the personal display window and choose a background from those made available by Meet, or load one by pressing the button(+) and selecting the photo to use for that purpose. Finally, close the customization box by pressing the appropriate button.
How to put the wallpaper on Meet from a computer
If you want to know how to put the background on Meet from a computer , all you have to do is start the video call or take part in one that has already started, go to the section dedicated to customizing the background and choose – or possibly load – the one you are interested in.
After going to the Meet home page , then, start the video call or take part in the one you were invited to (if you don’t know how to do it, review the instructions I gave you in this other guide ). Subsequently, if you want to proceed before starting or participating in the video call, click on the star symbol in the personal view box (below), press on the word Effects and select the background to set or, if you want, load one from your computer by clicking on the postcard symbol (+) . Once this is done, join the call by clicking on the appropriate button.
If you want to put the background acting during the call, instead, click on the three vertical dots icon at the bottom of the page, click on the wording Apply visual effects and select a background among those proposed or, if you want, click on the postcard icon (+) to load one from your PC. To close the opened box, click on the (x) at the top right.