You can persuade office employees for hours not to hang out on social networks at work, but there is little sense from this. It is much better to ban web resources that get in the way. Another reason to learn how to block unnecessary sites is to protect the fragile child’s psyche.
How to block a website in the browser
This blocking method has one significant drawback – in most cases it only works in a custom browser. Although some viewers have access to the Internet connection parameters. The universal method, which is suitable for all programs, is to install extensions. Advertised browsers have a lot of plugins, but in terms of privacy on the web, they are sometimes inferior to relatively little-known software products . Comparison of viewers:
How to block a dangerous site in these browsers? Read on and find out everything.
First of all, it is worth noting that from Chrome there is an exit to the settings for connecting the computer to the Internet. By editing them, you can deny access to the unwanted site. Algorithm of actions:
- Go to Settings and Management.
- Choose Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and click on “Additional”.
- Open the proxy server settings. We get into the properties of Windows Internet connections . At the final stage, we add unwanted resources to the list of dangerous sites.
The second way to block a dangerous site in chrome is to connect the Block Site extension. Additional software is installed in the same way as the usual anti-advertising plugins:
- Click on Settings and Controls.
- In the add-on tools, select “Extensions”.
- We go to the main menu “Extensions” and click on the Chrome online store.
- We drive into the search bar Block Site.
- Download and use the extension for free.
It’s funny that the first time you open YouTube, the suspicious Chrome suggests you stop distractions and block this site. The extension can be configured so that the software blocks the same sites on your computer and smartphone , that is, enable synchronization.
Chrome is also friendly with other blocker plugins, for example, with Web Blocker, Tiny WebFilter and others.
Encrypting the Net: How to Hide Your IP Address: 5 Proven Tricks
Previously, in Opera, it was possible to block sites using the browser settings. However, in newer versions, users are deprived of this opportunity. To solve the problem, you have to install a third-party extension, for example, Block Site. For this:
- We click on the “Opera” icon.
- Click “Extensions” → “Load extensions”.
- In the field for search phrases, drive in Block Site. If several options for plugins with this name are highlighted, select the one with an icon with a paperclip.
- Click “Add to Opera” and enjoy the result.
After the installation was completed, the extension was integrated into the browser context menu. How to block the site in the Opera now? Just right-click on the objectionable content and select Block this domain. You can also go to the plugin settings and enter the site to redirect to.
And in the settings, no one bothers to add dangerous web resources to the blacklist manually. There is also a checkbox for displaying notifications on the desktop. The English interface is unlikely to complicate the use of the plugin, since the controls are simple and intuitive. If you use the “Incognito” mode, do not forget to allow the extension to block sites in this mode in the settings. Block Site, by the way, works not only in Opera, but also in Chrome and Mazil.
Reducing the weight of pictures: How to reduce the photo: 8 ways
In Mazila’s case, it is worth evaluating the effectiveness of another plugin with the same name Block Site, but with an icon on which not a paper clip, but W. The browser sometimes gets naughty when installing extensions. A universal way to install them is to visit the addons.mozilla.org site. On it, through the search, you can easily find Block Site. After that, all that remains is to click “Add to Firefox” and confirm your intentions.
In the plugin settings you can:
- Enter a password for blocking / unblocking sites.
- Set up redirection when trying to open a blocked resource.
- Configure blocking time. Some users tweak their browser to keep them out of entertainment areas during business hours. Such a reminder to myself in the absence of proper self-discipline.
- Switch on reverse mode. Access to the marked sites will open, and the rest will be closed.
- Replenish the list of blocked web resources using the Add button.
Opera also has such a plugin.
Choosing software for data backup: Backup software: top 10 best
The first blocking option is suitable for a Windows computer . It is essentially the same as in the case of Chrome. We go to the settings, then to the “Add-ons”. Click on the proxy settings. In “Security” we add to the list of “Dangerous sites”.
The second method, how to block an unnecessary site in Safari, is suitable for an iPhone . We tap on the screen:
- Click on the gear to open the settings.
- At the top of the 3rd group of options, go to “Basic”.
- Scroll down and find “Restrictions” in the middle of the screen. We turn them on and enter the password.
- In the “Allowed Content” go to the sites.
- We put a tick “Restrict access …”.
- Go to “Never open” and add sites that you decided to block. Enter the resource addresses in full, together with www.
The third option is for a MacBook . You need to write sudo nano / etc / hosts in the terminal. Then type the password, after which the required file will open. The final steps are to enter a line with the blocked site at the end and save the edits.
How to use Microsoft storage: OneDrive: How to use it in Windows 10
How to block a site through hosts
Blocking via browser plugins can be bypassed even by inexperienced users by using an alternative viewer. But if you do this through hosts, the bypass method using another browser will no longer work. To block you need:
- Open the hosts file in the C: \ Windows \ System32 \ drivers \ etc folder. To do this, you must have administrator rights. You also need to take into account that there may be several such files in the etc directory. In this case, select the file without permission, open it using the Notepad program.
- Now we edit hosts to block or redirect:
- In this case, at the end of the file, enter, for example:
We prescribe it twice with www and without it to work for sure.
- Call forwarding.
In this example, a redirect from Bing to Google is registered.
If the system does not want to save the changes, in the properties of the hosts file we get rid of the “Read only” checkbox. Again, you need admin rights.
The ability to block a site through hosts is used by both advanced users and creators of malicious software. Attackers simply block, for example, social networks. Or they redirect users to some of their resources.
Software for presentations: What program is used to make a presentation: 10 best services
Blocking sites through Windows branding
There is a second universal method of blocking – through the Windows firewall, it is also relevant for all browsers. To take advantage of OS protection, you need to know the ip-addresses of the sites that fell out of favor. To do this, you can ping them. Example command: ping bing.com.
- We start the firewall in high security mode.
- We go into the rules for the original connections and sculpt a new custom rule for all progs.
- In “Protocols and ports” we leave the default option.
- In the “Area” we register the blocked IPs. You can enter local and remote network addresses.
- In the “Action” click on “Block connections”.
- In the “Profile” we leave everything unchanged.
- Enter any name for the rule and save it.
This option is suitable for users who use Windows Firewall. If you disable it, the rules will not work. The pluses of the firewall include the ability to block network programs, such as instant messengers.
In Search of Lost: How to Recover Deleted Files from a Computer: 5 Programs to Help
How to block sites on a router
Router blocking is the safest option, since a user who does not know the password for the router will not be able to bypass the protection. Unless he finds another source of the Internet.
Router manufacturers have different attitudes towards the implementation of the blocking functionality. Not everyone pays enough attention to this aspect. TP-Link products are a good example of a competent approach to the issue . An example of how to block TP-Link access to sites:
Create a new target in Access Control. Enter the addresses of the faulty web resources.
- Add a new node. We register the IP computers in which we will deny access to the previously introduced sites.
- In the “Rules” section, enable Internet control. Click “Save”. Create a rule by selecting the previously created target and node from the menu.
- We save the settings.
After rebooting, the router will close access to the sites selected by the user on the marked PCs. Computers can be selected not only by IP, but also by MAC addresses. We can safely say that the second option is the only correct solution if there are dynamic IP addresses in the local network.
Up-to-date info for iPhone owners: How to unlock an iPhone: 5 ways to unlock an iPhone if you forgot your password
Blocking websites using special programs
There is a huge amount of software on the Internet that can block web resources. If you have an advanced antivirus with a firewall installed , you may not need to download anything. Examples of such solutions are the corresponding versions of Avira, Kaspersky, Comodo, Norton Family.
An alternative option is to download and install some simple program like Web Site Zapper or Any Weblock. They need to supplement the lists of prohibited sites created by the developers. More sophisticated applications: Kids Control, Internet Censor. Unlike the first pair, the Russian interface will help you understand their functionality.
An example of a top blocking service is OpenDNS. Setting it up includes the following steps:
- Register on the service website, indicating that you are installing it for free home use.
- Change the DNS on your computer to the one specified on the website or follow the instructions for setting up the router.
- Check if your settings on OpenDNS are correct. If everything is OK, a link to the admin panel will appear.
- Enter blocked web resources on the panel.
OpenDNS is the most difficult way to solve the question of how to block dangerous sites on your computer. It is useful for users who know how a dynamic IP differs from a static one, have an idea of configuring routers.
When choosing blocking tools, it is important to make a balanced decision. Usually, the easier it is to install and configure software, the easier it is to disable or bypass it. On the other hand, it is worth considering how much blocking is needed, whether the effort will pay off.