If you want to learn how to activate the Lenovo backlit keyboard now you can do it without any problems. Have you bought a Lenovo PC and were you surprised by the light from the backlit keyboard? However, once you turn on the laptop, here’s the surprise: Despite repeated attempts, you have by no means managed to activate Lenovo’s backlit keyboard . But today we are going to explain it to you here.
Index of contents
How to activate Lenovo backlit keyboard
It is necessary that you follow the following steps to be able to activate the backlit keyboard of your Lenovo:
- Before even trying to activate thekeyboard backlight by pressing the physical keys or using the appropriate Lenovo software, you should make sure that the laptop you have chosen has the functionality mentioned above.
- You can verify this function by carefully reading the complete datasheet (by typing in Google the phrase Lenovo Datasheet (Portable Model), consulting the user manual on the laptop’s retail box or, again, looking at the keyboard and checking for the presence of a small Specific icon for the backlight, usually printed on the space bar or in Key Esc.
- If the icon in charge (identified by a drawing in the form of a light bulb or rays of light) was present on one of the keys mentioned above, then, in all probability, the model of laptop you own is equipped with an illuminated keyboard.
- Otherwise, unfortunately, the keyboard backlight is not included in the hardware functions ofthe laptop, so you do not have the possibility to enable it in any way.
- However, what you can do is equip yourself with a flexible usb lamp, which you can connect to one of the ports available on the laptop, placing it in the most appropriate way to sufficiently illuminate the keys.
- These small lampscan be purchased for a few euros in hardware stores or online stores.
- The backlight icon is clearly printed on the keyboard, but the keyboard still won’t turn on?
- This could be due to the presence of automatic backlighting, a characteristic feature of some Lenovo-branded notebooks. This, in particular, allows you to automatically turn on the keyboard only when the surrounding brightness is low or if you use the laptop in the dark.
- To ensure your presence, you can check the product data sheet, the user manual or if the drivers dedicated to sensor management are installed in Windows.
- To do this, turn on the laptop,wait for Windows to start completely, press the Win + R key combination, type the command devmgmt.msc in the text field that appears on the screen, and press Enter on the keyboard.
- In the new window that opens, look for the sensorsin the list of hardware devices detected on the PC, press the small button> located on your left to expand it and verify that, immediately below, there is the entry HID V2 Sensor Collection or Collection of HID V2 sensors: Their existence clearly indicates the presence of the sensor for automatic backlighting.
Enable Lenovo Backlit Keyboard
Now that you are sure of the presence of the functionality you want, it is time to get to the real action and understand, in concrete terms, how to activate the Lenovo Backlit Keyboard.
Here I will show you two of the easiest and fastest methods to accomplish this task: use the appropriate function keys on the keyboard or use Lenovo software, usually “standard” pre-installed on PCs made by the Chinese manufacturer.
By key combination
To activate the backlit keyboard on Lenovo laptops using the key combination, simply press and hold the fn function key (usually located next to the left Ctrl button) and then press the key marked with the backlight icon.
Depending on the model you have, this button could correspond to Esc or space bar.
Every time you press the mentioned key, there will be a precise backlight action: starting with the keyboard off, the first time you press a weak light, while the second time you will have the maximum brightness that can be obtained. Finally, on the third press, the backlight will turn off again.
If your laptop is equipped with a brightness sensor, therefore with automatic backlighting, the behavior changes slightly.
The first and second presses serve to illuminate the keyboard , as seen above, to the minimum and maximum.
The third, however, will activate the light sensor, to automatically adjust the supplied light according to the surrounding conditions.
However, on the fourth press, the backlight will turn off completely.
Via Lenovo software
Alternatively, you can decide to manage the keyboard backlight using the applications dedicated to managing the PC and the operating system: Lenovo Vantage for Windows 10 or Lenovo Settings for Windows 8.x, both pre-installed in the operating system and available at startup. menu (the flag icon located in the lower left corner of the screen) and / or as a desktop icon.
This way, you can turn the keyboard on or off with just a few mouse clicks.
Lenovo Vantage (Windows 10)
If you have a Lenovo laptop with a Windows 10 operating system, you can manage the keyboard lighting using the Lenovo Vantage program: after starting from the Start menu or via the icon located on the Windows desktop, press the Hardware Settings button located at the top, and then click on the Keyboard Backlight or Automatic Keyboard Backlight item (the exact wording varies depending on the laptop model you have).
After this, all you have to do is choose your preferred backlight level: Low / Low, High / High, Off (to turn off the keyboard), or Auto / Auto (option available only on laptops equipped with a sensor). light).
In the latter case, you can also choose to enable the automatic backlight when the PC starts up, so that Windows manages the keyboard light in total autonomy thanks to the integrated sensor, without the need for manual intervention: for this, you simply have to put the mark next to the input and enable automatic keyboard backlighting.
Lenovo Configuration (Windows 8.x)
If, on the other hand, you have a Lenovo laptop equipped with Windows 8.x, you should use the Lenovo Setup program, also available within Windows Start or as an icon for the desktop.
Once the program has started, all you have to do is check that the backlight icon is present in the right sidebar, possibly marked with the Backlight keyboard or Keyboard backlight item, do click on it until the text appears ON (with simultaneous physical activation of the light on the keyboard).
Again, if the Lenovo configuration is not present on your PC yet, you can download it directly from the Windows Store.
What should I do in case of problems?
Couldn’t activate the backlit keyboard with any of the steps described above? So the problem could be attributed to an unexpected buildup of energy within the backlight system, preventing its proper functioning.
To solve this problem, you can try to completely disconnect the power from the PC, for at least 10 seconds, to perform a full power discharge.
If you have a laptop with a removable battery , physically release it from the PC (following the instructions provided by the model in your possession) and leave it unplugged for at least 10 seconds.
If, on the other hand, you have a laptop equipped with a fixed battery, disconnect the power cable from the mains, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds and reconnect the power supply to the PC.
When you’re done, turn on your laptop and try activating the backlit keyboard again, following the procedures in this guide. If you still can’t, I recommend that you contact Lenovo official support through this link and then follow the instructions displayed on the screen.