Five toxic plants common in gardens

Many toxic plants are grown in gardens without proper attention, putting at risk the health of children and animals that may accidentally ingest them.Many people, who have a large number of plants in their garden , may not know what health damage these vegetables can cause. It is common to find, in places with easy access to children and animals, plants that can even cause death. Below, we list five plants that may be in your garden and that are toxic:

→ Me-nobody-can ( Dieffenbachia picta )

The me-nobody-can is extremely used in the decoration of homes (see image at the beginning of the text). This plant is responsible for a large number of intoxications, mainly of children and animals that are attracted by its showy leaves.

The me-nobody-can has calcium oxalate crystals and some substances that cause inflammatory reactions . Normally, when ingesting it, the person feels irritation in the mucosa and abundant salivation. It can cause vomiting , difficulty swallowing, edema on the tongue and lips, suffocation and even death. It is worth noting that this plant, if it comes in contact with skin and eyes, can also cause damage to these parts. On the skin, it can cause dermatitis and blisters. Pain, swelling, watering and conjunctivitis are some of the symptoms of this plant’s eye contact.

→ Trumpet ( Brugmansia suaveolens)

The trumpet can be poisoned by accidental ingestion or eye contact . It can trigger dilation of the pupil, dryness of the mouth, redness of the skin, fever, urinary retention and tachycardia. In addition, this plant can cause hallucinations, panic and delusions. In severe cases of intoxication, cardiovascular and respiratory disorders and even death can occur.

Calla lily ( Zantedeschia aethiopica )

Plants of this species have calcium oxalate, as well as me-nobody-can, so the symptoms of intoxication are similar. When ingesting parts of this plant, there is irritation of the mucosa, edema of the tongue and lips, difficulty in swallowing, abundant salivation, vomiting and diarrhea. Contact with the eyeThe crown-of-christ, also called the bride’s mattress and crown of thorns, is widely used as a hedge. Poisoning by this plant usually occurs due to contact with latex. The intake causes swelling of lips and tongue, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. In contact with the skin, the plant can trigger edema, itching and pain. In the eyes, it can cause conjunctivitis, swelling of the eyelid, damage to the cornea and, in more severe cases, temporary blindnesss can trigger irritation, swelling, watering and sensitivity to light.

Oleander ( Nerium oleander )

The oleander contains cardiotoxic glycosides that cause poisoning. In humans, ingestion can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, loss of movement coordination, difficulty breathing, arrhythmias, paralysis, coma and death .Attention: In case of intoxication caused by these plants, it is essential to seek medical help. It is not recommended to force vomit if swallowed. If there was eye contact, it is advisable to wash your eyes under running water.

by Abdullah Sam
I’m a teacher, researcher and writer. I write about study subjects to improve the learning of college and university students. I write top Quality study notes Mostly, Tech, Games, Education, And Solutions/Tips and Tricks. I am a person who helps students to acquire knowledge, competence or virtue.

Leave a Comment