Have reddish spots appeared on the leaves of your plants? This article interests you.
The red spider is a mite that can feed on many different plants, including almost all the most common vegetables and ornamentals, so it will be customary to detect the red spider sometime in our crop.
The red spider is called that because of its ability to weave cobwebs but it is not a arachnid but a mite.
In this article we will discuss the problem of the red spider in our gardens and orchards.
What is the plague of the Red Spider?
The red spider is a small animal that can end up with large plantations unless proper observation is carried.
In summer season specifically, that there is a hot and very dry climate, it is the perfect time for mites to invade plants.
That is why today we will see how to fight the red spider in our gardens.
Symptoms of the red spider plague:
- Weakness in plants, specifically in leaves, causing permanent damage.
- The leaves fall.
- The leaves are discolored.
Therefore, it is advisable to water the plants accordingly. While, if you have planters place them in cool places that have shade.
It is important to highlight that, the red spider does not belong to the group of arachnids, it only has that name for its creamy ability to weave cobwebs.
The feeding of the mite is based on plants that are very dry. The range of variety between the plants is extensive and the red spider takes advantage of it in an excellent way, because it feeds on hundreds of them without having preference.
How to detect the red spider in plants?
No, it is very difficult to see them because of their tiny size. The only thing that can be appreciated from the red spider is a red dot on the leaf of the plant that you have selected to feed.
In any case, that several mites are eating from the same plant and form cobwebs around it, if the red dots can be clearly observed.
If you have a garden and you suspect that there are mites you must fight them.
Red spiders are a danger to the life of plants because they feed on the cells, leaving them weak and defenseless.
This is observed with the naked eye because the insects leave the leaves with spots or pale spots and although they are not large.
It should be noted that if a certain plant is attacked by thousands of red spiders, it loses the function of producing photosynthesis and in the worst case, killing the plant.
Where do red spiders hide?
To fight the red spider it is important to know where these mites hide.
On the back of the leaves are located most of the insects that suck the cells. It is advisable to look at the orchard or garden at home every two or three days to avoid the bitter representation of red spiders .
It is important to look closely at the underside of the leaves. In the prevention is the gain before the possibility of avoiding the intrusion of insects.
How does the red spider affect my garden?
During suction, the mite feeds on the plant at a rapid speed. In such a way that, the plant can become weak in a day.
The pigmentation that shows the severity of the plant occurs when it acquires a yellow hue. Fungi and bacteria take advantage of the fact that the plant is vulnerable and lodge in it, attacking it which can cause it an early death.
Is it recurring that red spiders appear in your garden?
Red spiders at home appear when you least expect it, but to know how to kill the red spider, you must first know how the problem appears.
If the plague of the red spider sprouts excessively, it is time to think about what is happening and take strict measures to solve the problem. Most likely, you are skipping some prevention step for the garden.
Among the possible beginnings of the problem may be excessive watering or insufficient water . Remember that not all plants require the same amount of water.
Another factor of the problem that must be taken into account is the excess of liquid fertilizer or excess of nitrogen, it is important not to drown the plant since they are living beings.
Excess or lack of sun are important elements for the daily care of plant life. The first thing that must be done is to identify and self-assess to know what the wrong factor could be during bad practice when caring for the garden.
Remove the red spider from my garden
- Pest prevention is based on doing the procedures correctly. A convenient and appropriate irrigation according to the plant and the climate, a solid and good quality organic fertilizer is essential to extend the life of the plants.
- It is advisable to have and respect the sowing schedules, so you can get the best benefit from both vegetables and plants by prolonging their life.
- If you have staff to harvest plants, fruits or vegetables, it is advisable to orient personnel in a correct way so that our garden is exposed to the sun the necessary hours and above all to raise biodiversity as much as possible, planting as many plants as possible.
- The resistance of the garden or garden to any type of pests and diseases will be due to the positive care that people give it, enabling the life of the plants and the benefits of them.
- The monitoring factor is essential, because by repeatedly observing the state of the plants, looking at the underside of the leaves will reduce the risk of fungi and pests.
- If you notice any damage on one sheet it is convenient to cut that sheet, before it contaminates the others.
- Remember that the main objective is not only to eliminate the red spider , but also to prevent our garden from causing excessive damage without abusing insecticides or chemicals.
- It is good to have red spiders on plants, that is, they do not harm as long as they are few. This will maintain the large numbers of ladybugs and crisopas that will regulate their population.
What products are effective in treating red spiders?
If the prevention techniques have failed and show signs of being a great danger that they are about to get out of control, it is feasible that the red spiders should resort to ecological protection products against pests before the plants become contaminated with insects.
Excess bacteria is bad, so the plant needs help so it can fight the parasite and eliminate the red spider pest .
Ideally, remove the red spider with your hands, being the most harmless technique we can use, if we have few insects in the garden. But this technique is complicated and not accurate, it also requires a lot of patience, since it is a very small insect.
Products against the pest of the red spider
Surveillance should be strict, almost daily to avoid spreading red spiders to other plants.
One of the most effective products against the fight of red spiders is potassium soap, which serves to soften the exoskeleton of insects , because they are very weak and end up dying.
It is important to know that it is a natural and harmless product for people’s health.
Is there a homemade treatment for red spiders?
The answer is yes.
There is a low cost treatment that everyone can use at home. The natural product is garlic, in addition to its multiple functions for food, it can be used to keep red spiders away from plants.
The correct way to prepare the solution is to crush the garlic so that it is well crushed, then diluted with plenty of water in a bowl.
The next step is to water the affected plants one by one, dedicating time. It is ideal that we apply the solution with aerosol, because it is comfortable and thanks to the nozzle of the container the water with garlic will flow evenly.
Garlic not only helps fight red spiders , but also all types of insects and fungi that can inhabit plants.
The perfect harmony is not to eliminate the red spider completely, on the contrary, the balance of nature is maintained when living beings can live together.
Although it is difficult to achieve or requires more effort, it is best to observe the garden and try to fight red spiders without killing them. Remember that they are insects and sooner or later they will return.
The red spider is quite resistant when products are applied to eliminate them and usually its eradication is not complete. However, there are many greenhouses that offer their customers multiple effective compounds and in a wide range of different presentations.
The product most effectively is the powder due to its rapid penetration into the plant. This is because the red spiders are placed on the underside of the leaf of any bush and there it is difficult to place liquids against them, giving chemical powders a plus.
What ecological remedies can be used to combat the red spider?
Faced with a latent threat, natural elements can be considered that help to help fight the red spider. There is Amblyseiuscalifornicus that eats eggs, larvae and mites even while in adulthood.
In greenhouses they sell preparations that contain natural predators that can be used against red spiders .
One of the techniques that is usually used is to spray with infusions based on different methods that are explained below:
- You can use dried nettles in an infusion, you boil them with water until she releases her sentence. It is a biological method that manages to control mites. When doing this procedure, it should be taken into account that the plants must be sprayed. Previously you can crush the nettles to get a better and more effective result.
- One of the recommended infusions is made with ferns. The fern is cooked with water, diluting them and then applied to the plants. It is advisable to apply this infusion in spring. However, in tropical countries it can be used year-round.
- The infusions of wormwood mixed with soda silicateare gently sprayed on the plants, during the spring and autumn seasons preferably.
- A recipe that comes from generation to generation is the infusion of horsetail with neutral soap. It is recommended to apply for three days in a row in the morning, especially if you are in a fertile and sunny territory.
- Another important element and that all people have at hand at home are onion skins. They also serve to make infusions to scare away red spiders. Another way to use them is to spread them on the ground, where there are crops of fruits, vegetables or any plantation, because it serves as a repellent against mites, fungi or bacteria.
Life cycle of the mite or red spider
It is good to know what kind of animal we face and knowing it is a virtue that will help us fight it. The life cycle of the red spider can vary between a week or a month. This will vary from the surrounding temperature, if it is low or if it is high.
The process of reproduction of the mites is as follows: if there is a very high temperature in their habitat they are born, they become adults, then lay eggs and finally die.
This process is very fast and occurs approximately between a week and a week and a half. While, when there are lower temperatures, the process is relative and even slows down, although the number of eggs they produce is the same.
When the red spiders are young or eggs they are distributed in small groups around the leaf, specifically on the back of it, very close to the veins of the plant.
The birth of eggs occurs between four and seven days, this will depend on heat and humidity. The greater the dryness of the weather, the faster the red spiders will be born. These mites lay approximately more than 100 eggs during their life.
In the stage that pass from eggs to larvae they have six legs and during a week they go through different variations, where one of the characteristic features is the formation of two legs.
When red spiders reach the stage of adulthood they usually live for 10 to 30 days, that is the average life of these animals. Female spiders are adults at three days and incubate more than five eggs each day.
Ending the red spider in your garden is not a simple task, but after reading all the information in this article, you will surely have a clearer idea of your next step to end the red spider plague in your garden .