Corojo or corojo palm ( Acrocomia crispa ). It is a species belonging to the palm family ( Arecaceae ) native to Cuba . It is more abundant in Camagüey . It has a very thorny trunk and leaves, including the spine. The trunk is thicker towards the center than at the bottom and top.
[ hide ]
- 1 Taxonomy
- 1 Scientific name
- 1.1 Authors
- 2 Ancient authors
- 3 Accepted names
- 4 Basonym
- 4.1 Basonymic combinations
- 5 Synonymy
- 6 Common name
- 1 Scientific name
- 2 Origin and distribution
- 3 Description
- 1 Fruits
- 2 Mass
- 4 References
- 5 Source
- Acrocomia crispa (Kunth) CF Baker ex Becc.    
- Baker, Charles (Carl) Fuller
- Published in: Pomona College Journal of Economic Botany and Subtropical Horticulture 2: 364. 1912. 
- Beccari, Odoardo 
- Gastrococci crispa (Kunth) HE Moore
- Cocos crispa Kunth 
- Astrocaryum crispum (Kunth) M. Gómez
- Gastrococci crispa (Kunth) HE Moore 
- Acrocomia armentalis (Morales) LHBailey & EZBailey
Thorns on the trunk
- Astrocaryum crispum (Kunth) M.Gómez
- Cocos crispa Kunth
- Gastrococos armentalis Morales
- Gastrococci crispa (Kunth) HEMoore   
Corojo, corojo palm, prickly palm.
Origin and distribution
It is original and is distributed in Cuba . 
Base and roots
It is a tall spiny palm, with a thin stipe at the base, but swollen in the center, giving it the name Cuban belly palm in English and it is closely related to the Acrocomia genus . Previously it was located in the genus Gastrococos .
With a dense crown of scattered leaves, with elegantly sloping leaflets, shiny and narrow and a stout trunk grotesquely bulging in the center, it is certainly a palm tree for lovers of challenges.
Its seeds are long and difficult to germinate, the nursery plants are really slow the first years.
The almonds of its fruits produce a good quality oil, which is consumed and sold locally in the Sierra de Cubitas municipality , Camagüey .
Its edible mass contributes for every 100g; 12.26g of protein, 6.6g of fiber, 74.10g of fat, 699 calories, 1.48mg of calcium , 211mg of phosphorus , 156mg of iron , 0.03mg of Vitamin A , 0.0mg of B1, 0.07mg of B2, 2.64mg of 0.9mg of niacin and vitamin C .