Clock of the Cathedral of Comayagua. Considered the oldest public clock in America , and one of the four oldest in the world still in operation.
[ hide ]
- 1 Review
- 2 Operation
- 3 Restoration
- 4 Sources
It was built by the Moors during their occupation of Spain around 1100 . The King Philip III donated it to the Cathedral of Comayagua , which in those days was the Church of Merced . It began operating in 1636 , where he worked for 65 years , before being transferred to the new Cathedral in 1711 . It is the oldest working clock in America , and it sounds its alarms every 15 minutes. Note the old Roman numeral “IIII” instead of the more “modern” “VI”.
With the installation of a public clock that he placed in La Alambra, Seville , in the year 1100, where he gave hours and quarters of an hour for four centuries . In the XV century , the Catholic kings reconquered the lands occupied by the Moors and Columbus discovered the new world .
Felipe Tercero , El Piadoso, son and successor of Felipe II , ruled Spain between the years 1598 – 1621 , he was staunch expeller of the Moors. This king sent to remove the clock from La Alambra to give it to the noble Santa María de Comayagua . It was first installed in the Church of La Merced in 1650 , when the current Cathedral was inaugurated in 1715 , it was transferred to the tower of the current Comayagua Cathedral.
From the Cathedral clock , six hundred thirty-six (636) years from its manufacture to our time can be counted , broken down as follows: 212 years in the Alhambra, Granada , Spain . ( 1374 to 1586 ) 118 years of the Arab occupation (1374 to 1492 ) and 94 years of the period of reconquered Spain. (1492 to 1586 ).
In Comayagua it has been working for 424 years. 129 years in the Iglesia la Merced . ( 1586 to 1715 ) 295 years in the tower of the cathedral. (1715 to 2010 ). This clock gives the quarters of the hour and the hours by means of chimes, for this it is connected to two of the eight bells that are in the tower.
The quarter and half hours are announced by “bell of San Emigdio ” that next to the bell called “the little one”, are found in the windows on the north side of the bell tower . The hours are announced by the bell called “la Purísima”, which together with the shearing or turning machine are located on the front facade of the tower.
During 2007 it underwent a process of restoration , by the Mayor ‘s Office, the National Congress, the Committee Cultural Comayagüense and supervision of the Honduran Institute of Anthropology and History , for it was located at the master watchmaker Rodolfo Antonio Ceron Martinez of Guatemala who , after five months of hard work concluded its work on 20 December of the 2007 .