Chlorophyll is a green pigment found in almost all plants, algae and some bacteria; it has the purpose of absorbing the light necessary for the synthesis of carbohydrates , which takes place starting from water and carbon dioxide (chlorophyll photosynthesis).
In nature there are different types of chlorophyll; the main ones are a and b, which absorb light at different wavelengths. Chlorophyll B, together with some carotenoids , transfers the absorbed energy to chlorophyll A, expanding the range of light radiation usable by the plant. There is also a chlorophyll C, typical of some algae, and a bacteriochlorophyll or chlorophyll D, obviously typical of bacteria.
Function of Chlorophyll
The main function of chlorophyll is photosynthesis , the role of chlorophyll in photosynthesis is the absorption of photons of light with the consequent excitation of an electron , that excited electron gives up its energy, returning to the normal state, to some auxiliary pigment ( sometimes other chlorophylls), where the phenomenon is repeated; In the end the excited electron facilitates the reduction of a molecule, thus completing the conversion of a small amount of light energy into chemical energy, one of the essential functions of photosynthesis.
- Vitamins : A, C, D, E, K, U and B complex, carotene, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, inositol, biotin, folic acid.
- Minerals : sodium, magnesium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, cobalt, copper, manganese, molybdenum, boron, chlorine, as well as traces of zinc, strontium and nickel.
Chlorophyll contains many special properties and really beneficial for health.
- Great deodorizing activity, fights bad breath caused by tobacco and fights anemia.
- Detoxifies and oxygenates our cells very effectively.
- It is an extraordinary and easily digestible source of vitamins and minerals.
- It supports blood circulation, cleanses the intestines, kidneys and liver.
- It helps balance our metabolism.
- It is a nutritional supplement that has a great deodorizing activity.
- Very useful to combat bad breath caused by alcoholic beverages, garlic, strong condiments, tobacco and other foods.
- It helps eliminate odors caused by perspiration.
- It is an excellent antioxidant, helps prevent premature cell deterioration, so it is considered rejuvenating.
- Nourishes and strengthens the circulatory system.
- Nourishes and strengthens the intestines.
- It is antianemic, very useful in cases of anorexia, for children who eat poorly or little and for those who feel weak.
- Significantly lowers cholesterol and serum triglycerides.
- It has anticancer and antimutagenic potential.
- It helps reduce urinary and fecal odor.
- It helps fight and prevent constipation.
- It may be beneficial to treat the dissolution of calcium oxalate stones.
Some of the side reactions
The use of chlorophyll:
- It can alter the color of urine and feces .
- Chlorophyll is not advised in people with sensitivity to any component of chlorophyll.