Cranberry juice contains all the nutritional properties of the fruit, it is easy to consume without losing its rich sources of antioxidants, vitamins and mineral salts.
Blueberries are one of the most loved fruits in North America and there are several species of blueberries, they are native to North America. To date, the United States has grown and exported more than half of the global consumption of blueberries. (The next large percentage of world production – around 30% – also belongs to Canada, a country in North America).
The 13 benefits of cranberry juice
Considered an antioxidant superfood extract, and cranberry juice is one of the best ways to get the maximum amount of nutrients with the best flavor. This is because their nutrients – including vitamins, antioxidants and enzymes – suffer damage when exposed to temperatures (350 ° F / 175 ° C and above) used in cooking.
- Helps burn fat faster: a study carried out by the University of Michigan has shown that cranberry juice can affect weight loss ( 1 ). A test on rats, regardless of the type of diet carried out, the researchers found that our body stores the impact that blueberries have on the body in relation to the absorption of sugars. This research has yet to proceed on tests on men, but there are other studies that refute similar results.
- Effective against diarrhea and constipation: Thanks to the soluble fiber content, cranberry juice promotes regularity of body. It acts positively in relation to the digestive system, reducing inflammation, thanks to the presence of tannins in cranberry juice.
- Useful for urinary tract infections: Berries such as blueberries and cranberries, are very useful for alleviating and preventing urinary tract infections thanks to its active ingredients. This benefit is always due to tannins, compounds that prevent the Escherichia colibacteria from sticking to the bladder and urinary tract wall ( 3 ).
In this case, however, it is advisable not to exceed the consumption of blueberry juice because it is rich in sugar and could make the situation worse.
- They protect from ovarian cancer: one of the phytonutrients present in cranberry juice is a flavonoid called An extraordinary scientific research conducted by the Nurses Health Study and lasted from 1984 and 2002 with as many as 60,000 women involved showed that among them, those who had a diet more rich in kaempferol had a 40% reduction in the risk of ovarian cancer.
- Slow down the aging process: Thanks to its high number of antioxidants, cranberry juice can help combat the damage created by free radicals, with the consequent acceleration of the aging process, also called oxidative stress ( 5 ). Also in a study, participants consumed cranberry juice in combination with apple juice for four weeks. The researchers found that oxidative DNA damage, which promotes aging and increases the risk of cancer, has been reduced by 20%.
- Increases physical performance: after an intense workout, the muscles can very often get tired and sore, but this muscle fatigue can be improved with the consumption of cranberry juice. Blueberries can help reduce inflammation and oxidative stress on muscles .
- Improves eyesight: Antioxidants in blueberries can aid in eye health, preventing free radical damage to the eyes and consequent vision problems. Blueberries are also an aid to blood pressure, which is a contributing factor to vision loss
- Rich in antioxidants:blueberries are known to offer the highest amount of antioxidants, compared to other fruits. In addition to fighting free radicals, antioxidants have been linked to a better state of health
- Lowers high blood pressure: Some research has related the consumption of cranberry juice to a reduction in blood pressure. After eight weeks of consuming 50 grams of blueberries a day, patients at high risk of heart disease experienced 4-6% decrease in high blood pressure
- Reduces cognitive impairment: Free radicals and oxidative stress can damage the brain, but the antioxidants in cranberry juice can help fight them, helping to improve brain health. A six-year study consisting of 16,010 elderly found that consumption of blueberries and strawberries delayed cognitive impairment by 2.5 years.
- Increases the ability to learn:although the data offered are still in the early stages, the researchers found that when introduced into the feeding of guinea pigs, blueberries improve learning and motor and animal skills, with marked improvements
This finding could be useful for research on the health benefits of blueberries in terms of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia (
- It has a positive effect on colon health: a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry indicated that the phenolic compounds present in blueberries could inhibit the spread of colon cancer cells (
- It could positively influence against different forms of cancer: while coming almost exclusively in the form of laboratory studies on human cells or studies on laboratory animals, cranberry juice is at the center of scientific research in recent years, focused on its possible anticancer benefits.
How to prepare cranberry juice
Homemade blueberry juice is one of those home-made delights we should never give up on any occasion. But why buy a bottle of cranberry juice when we can prepare it ourselves very easily at home?The secret to an ideal blueberry juice is the careful choice of blueberries, which must be solid and plump, without white spots,
which may indicate the presence of mold. Keep in mind, however, that wrinkled blueberries should be avoided, as they are already too old, always to obtain the highest quality from the fruit.Although the smaller varieties have a richer flavor, they have less of the amount of antioxidants present in the larger ones that have been grown. In addition, cultivated blueberries are easily available throughout the year
- In a metal sieve we deposit blueberries, rinse enough blueberries to remove any pesticide residues, soil dirt, insects, and even other types of debris. We sufficiently shake the colander during rinsing.
- In a blender or extractor we insert the blueberries and squeeze them until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- If you want to drink ice cream blueberry juice, especially during a hot summer, instead of adding ice cubes to homemade blueberry juice, directly freeze some blueberry juice to use, so as not to dilute the juice with water. .
- Wear gloves when making cranberry juice because it can cause blemishes.