Chlorella seaweed is well known for its beneficial properties.It is taken in the form of a powder or capsule supplement. Rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E, mineral salts and amino acids, and especially chlorophyll. It is able to strengthen the immune system, reduce any inflammation.
The beneficial properties
Chlorella algae has countless benefits , in fact:
- improves the immune system by acting in particular on NK cells;
- helps to lose weight if taken on a regular basis because it reduces the percentage of body fat and serous cholesterol, while limiting blood glucose levels;
- regularizes the hormonal system;
- improves metabolism and circulation;
- increases energy;
- helps withstand cancer treatment better and helps fight cancer;
- removes heavy metals and toxins from the body;
- improves the action of T lymphocytes favoring the fight against abnormal cells.
- Proteins: Chlorella is 50 – 60% protein. In addition, it is a complete source of proteins, which means that it contains the nine essential amino acids .
- Vitamin B12: some varieties of Chlorella may also contain vitamin B12, but more studies are needed .
- Iron and vitamin C: Chlorella can be a good source of iron . Depending on the supplement, it can provide 6 to 40% of your daily needs . It is also an excellent source of vitamin C, which helps you absorb iron.
- Other antioxidants: these tiny green cells provide a wide range of antioxidants.
- Other vitamins and minerals : Chlorella provides small amounts of magnesium, zinc, copper, potassium, calcium, folic acid and other B vitamins.
- Omega-3: as with other algae, Chlorella contains some Omega-3. Only 3 grams of Chlorella gives you 100 mg of Omega-3.
- Fiber: in large quantities, Chlorella can be a good source of fiber. However, most supplements do not provide even 1 gram of fiber per dose.
How to introduce chlorella in the diet?
It is important to bear in mind that chlorella can produce some side effects, the most common are: gas, nausea, diarrhea and stomach cramps and some problems of asthma and solar sensitivity.The chlorella is often consumed by powders or tablets. If you opt for the option of powders you can mix in your recipes easily. For example, a good way is in your juices, smoothies, desserts or even sauces like pesto.