Carpooling consists of traveling several people in the same vehicle to the same destination. What is known as car sharing. The purpose is to avoid the use of several vehicles for the same route.
Not to be confused with car sharing (carsharing). Next, we explain its operation, the characteristics and the difference with the practice of carpooling.
To explain the operation of carpooling, we distinguish two agents involved:
- Driver:Person who owns the car he drives.
- Passengers: Travelers in the car.
The carpooling mechanism is very simple:
A person wants to make a trip and looks for a driver who is going to make the same journey with his vehicle. You can do it in two ways:
- The traditional method:Enter your circle of contacts as friends, family or co-workers and willing to take you. With this method, passengers and the driver self-manage the expenses to be shared. The most typical example is found among colleagues who share a car to go to their workplace and organize to take it every day one.
- The technological method: Through the use of some digital platform (APP) where unknown drivers publish the routes they are going to make and are willing to carry more passengers.
Once they have found the trip they need, the APP agrees date, time and other details of the trip with the driver.
When the journey is finished, the payment is made to the driver through the APP and this is left with a commission per trip. It can be valued, both the driver and the passengers.
Advantages and disadvantages of carpooling
Among the advantages of carpooling we find:
- Fuel savings, tolls or parking costs for passengers.
- It reduces traffic, reduces the number of accidents, makes it easier to find parking and ultimately saves time in circulation.
- Reduces CO2 emissions, so environmentally it is a very positive measure and especially in large cities.
- It favors social relations between passengers and the driver.
The disadvantages of carpooling are very few, among them are:
- Have less independence when adjusting schedules or the route as this forces to maintain a commitment to passengers. Both depend on the punctuality of others and their good management to reach their destinations.
- Insecurity when sharing a car with strangers, especially in certain countries where citizen insecurity is greatest in every way, this is an added danger.
Differences between carpooling and carsharing
Sometimes we can see the use of the expressions carpooling and carsharing in a similar way, but the main differences lie in:
- The carpooling that requires a digital platform to put in contact with driver and passengers, who are usually unknown to each other, while in carsharing you can drive your own car that is rented without sharing it with other passengers.
- In carpooling the driver is the owner of the car and in carsharing not, the property belongs to the company that facilitates it.
- With carsharing you are doing business, while with carpooling you simply share your vehicle at a particular level and there is no obligation to charge for it, only if you do it through the APP.