Crashes, freezes, error 3107840166, non-working gamepad on PC and more
In their new game, Activision continued to peddle the topic of bad Russians. As the name suggests, Cold War takes place at a time of particularly tense relations between the US and the USSR in the early 80s.
The launch of the game was not without technical problems. We’ve put together proven solutions for them .
What computer do you need for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (system requirements)
This time, Activision presented 5 recommendations for system requirements for their new game at once. We studied independent tests of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War on various hardware and came to the conclusion that the official information is very close to the truth:
Of all this, the main thing can be distinguished:
- The game has moderate CPU requirements. It also works well on older Core i3 or first generation Ryzen 3s. Maximum efficiency is still achieved on processors with 8 physical cores, but 4 games are enough.
- By default, the game only runs in DirectX 12 mode.This causes problems with older graphics cards, but you can switch to DX11 mode by specifying -d3d11 in the launch properties.
- 4K is best played with DLSS. Only a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti or RTX 3070 is capable of deliveringstable 60 frames at maximum settings and without ray tracing. If you have an RTX 2070 you will need to lower the settings or enable DLSS. Fortunately, the latest version of DLSS in quality mode makes the picture even better than the native resolution.
- The game consumes a lot of video memory. Even in Full HD (1920×1080), up to 8 gigabytes can be consumed, and in 4K – up to 11. Therefore, all video cards with 3-4 gigabytes are not able to run the game at settings above average. And even the iconic 6GB GTX 1060 has problems.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War not starting on Windows 7
- Installthe SP1 update for Windows 7.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War not connecting to server / servers not working
This happens if the game servers are overloaded or technical work is underway. You can check the server status here .
Resolution does not change in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
This error can occur if screen scaling is enabled on Windows. You can compensate for this as follows:
- Find the exefile in the game folder.
- Go to properties and go to the “Compatibility”tab .
- Click the Change High DPI Settingsbutton .
- In the option “Override scaling mode …”select “Application” .
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War slows down / lags / lags
Check your PC meets the system requirements
Cm. See the chapter “What computer do you need for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War” above.
Update your graphics card drivers
Visit the video card manufacturer’s website:
- NVIDIA GeForce: The site will select the appropriate drivers. Just click Search and then Download Now . After the download is complete, run the downloaded file and follow the instructions of the installer.
[* ] AMD Radeon : Scroll down to Search for your product and select your graphics card under Graphics . Click the Submit button . On the window that opens, click LMB on your version of Windows and click “Download” . When the download is complete, run the downloaded file and follow the instructions of the installer.
Important: Be sure to restart your computer after updating your drivers.
Enable high performance for your graphics card
For NVIDIA GeForce owners:
- Open the NVIDIA Control Panelby right- clicking on the desktop.
- Select Manage 3D Settingsfrom the list on the left.
- Switch to the “Software Settings”tab in the main part of the screen and select Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War from the drop-down list under “1. Select a program to configure ” (if the game is not in the list, then add the corresponding button next to it).
- In the list below, find the Power Management Modefeature and switch it to Maximum Performance Mode preferred .
For AMD Radeon and AMD processor owners:
- Open Radeon Settingsby right- clicking on the desktop.
- Go to the “System”section .
- In the “Switchable Graphics”category , set the “Maximum Performance” graphics card as the primary.
- Click “Accept”.
How to tune the graphics in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War / How to increase the frame rate
Optimal settings for a weak PC close to the minimum system requirements:
- Screen Resolution: Thenative resolution of the monitor (typically 1920×1080).
- Frame rate limit:
- Texture quality:
- Model quality:
- Special Effects Quality:
- Screen space reflections:
- Object display range:
- Shadow quality:
- Dynamic shadows:
- Special Effects Shadows:
- Weapon Shading:
- Anti-aliasing quality:
- Shading quality:
- Speed Effect:Off
- Subsurface scattering:off
- Order-independent transparency:
Sound issues in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War on Windows 10
- Open the Windows Control Panel.
- Go to the Hardware and Sound section.
- Open sound settings.
- Select the default device (there should be a green checkmark next to it) and go to its properties with the button below.
- In the “Advanced”tab select the default format “16 bit, 48000 Hz” .
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War freezes / crashes / error 3107840166
- Perhaps the problem is overheating of the video card. Check to see if the fans of her cooling system are stuck in adjacent wires. If everything is in order with this, then try resetting the overclocking: go to the MSI Afterburnerapplication and press the Reset button (if such a program is not installed, then the video card most likely did not overclock).
- Switch the game to DX11 mode. To do this, write -d3d11in the launch properties .
- Limit your maximum FPS. To do this, in the graphics settings, set 30or 60 for the “Frame rate limit” parameter .
Gamepad (controller, joystick) does not work in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
The developers have limited the ability to use the gamepad on a PC. On servers where players use mouse and keyboards, Xbox controllers and most others do not work.
Write in the comments if you know other ways to solve technical problems in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War!