Bloody Mary. This cocktail with such an unpleasant name (translated would be Maria the bloodthirsty) is well known when it comes to reducing hangovers. And it is because of its properties, a good Bloody Mary will help you take better the hangover from the alcohol you drank the day before.
Bloody Mary is one of the most drunk cocktails in America. However, no one knows for sure how their story began. They say that in Paris, an American named Petiot mixed vodka and tomato juice in equal parts. It was the 1920s and 10 years later, already in New York, at the King Cole of the St. Regis hotel, the Bloody Mary was added with pepper, lemon, Perrins sauce and tabasco.
[ hide ]
- 1 History
- 2 Ingredients
- 3 Preparation
- 1 Decoration
- 4 Curiosities
- 5 Variations
- 6 Nutritional information
- 7 Sources
No one agrees on who was the creator of such a famous cocktail. One of the stories he attributes to Fernand Petoit (in 1920 ), an American who worked as a bartender at Harry’s New York Bar in Paris in the 1920s. It is also claimed by George Jessel and at least two other New York bartenders. It gets its name by taking inspiration from Queen Mary I of England , Mary of Tudor, popularly known as Bloody Mary for the harsh repression she targeted Anglicans in their attempt to restore Catholicism to the kingdom.
- Vodka 50 ml.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon .
- Ice cubes 4-5.
- Tabasco sauce .
- Juice tomato 50 ml.
- Worcestershire sauce 2 drops.
- Cayenne pepper.
- Sal .
Step 1: Pour vodka, lemon juice, tabasco sauce, and Worcestershire sauce into a tall glass.
Step 2: Add salt and pepper to the mixture with 3 or 4 ice cubes.
Step 3: Complete with tomato juice and stir with a shaker or long spoon.
- Before starting its preparation, it is advisable to frost the rim of the glass with coarse salt dipped in lime.
- It can be decorated with a slice of lemon, olives, pickled gherkins , celery or other vegetables .
The cocktail, whose name translates as “Mary the Bloodthirsty”, is known for being the ally for the hangover cure, yet it is delicious for a casual breakfast or brunch or lunch-style gathering. It can be enjoyed with both main dishes, salads and eggs to taste.
- The vodka or the level of spiciness (tabasco and black pepper) depends on the consumer
- An interesting variant is the Alta 27-Bloody Mary, and it consists of replacing vodka with fine Andalusian. It is of great importance that the tomato juice is very very cold. In addition to decorating it with a celery branch that gives it a certain final bitterness that makes this cocktail one of the most interesting for an aperitif.
- In the United States it is common to prepare it with gin instead of Vodka. This custom comes from the years when it was difficult to import Vodka …
- Another variant is what they call Cherry Mary, it consists of substituting vodka for Jerez, so that it gives it a much sweeter and softer touch.
|Saturated fatty acids||0.13 gr|
|Monounsaturated fatty acids||0.04 gr|
|Vitamin A||3.40 µg|
|Vitamin C||160.22 mg|
|Folic acid||22.52 µg|