Belt sander . It is a machine that is used to quickly and easily sand different types of materials, such as wood . The belt sander contains an electric motor that rotates a pair of drums on which the sandpaper is mounted , which, moving at high speed, sand the material.
[ hide ]
- 1 Operation of a belt sander
- 2 Some safety measures when using a belt sander
- 3 Types of belt sanders
- 4 Sources
Operation of a belt sander
The belt sander is made up of a closed belt of sandpaper stretched between two rollers. One of these rollers is responsible for generating the movement of the sandpaper band, and the other is the one that performs the task of controlling the tension and lateral movement of the sandpaper. This sander has a plate between both rollers that maintains the sanding band against the part to be sanded.
The belt sander is used to sand large, flat surfaces. It is not necessary to apply pressure to the surface to be sanded, since the sander has a very strong polishing power. For this same reason it is recommended not to stop the machine at any time when we are in the process of sanding.
Some safety measures when using a belt sander
- The cable should always be behind the machine. It must not be in the path of it and must be in good condition.
- Use a mask or chinstrap as a lot of dust is released.
- Wear safety glasses and why not, hearing protectors.
- The sandpaper must not be worn, since otherwise we run the risk of being cut or that we do not achieve the desired work. Also, a worn sandpaper, we will have to make more force, causing premature fatigue and additional effort for the sander.
- When finished using, it is recommended to blow off or dust off with a belt sander brush.
Types of belt sanders
The belt sander can be a portable machine (in this case the sander moves on the material), or a stationary machine (in this case the material moves on the sandpaper).
Stationary Belt Sander
Portable belt sander
These machines can be of different sizes, there are from very small (which due to their size facilitate their transport), to huge machines that are generally located in large companies and factories. Small belt sanders are typically used at home, at home, or in small carpentry businesses, and are typically portable, although in some cases they may also be stationary. Large belt sanders are mostly used industrially, in large businesses, and are typically of the stationary type. Some portable belt sanders come equipped with a dust bag, which will help us collect dust. Also take into account, when purchasing a belt sander,