Although the generic objective of any banquet is the gathering around a table and the common delight of the senses, they usually have a particular purpose, festive or celebratory, linked to some ceremony, especially family events such as weddings or funeral banquets . The importance of a banquet is measured, on the one hand, by the quality or quantity of delicacies and drinks and the number of dishes; and on the other by the number of guests or diners. The person who summons, organizes and bears the expenses of the banquet is called the host and may or may not coincide with the honoree, the one to whom the banquet is dedicated, who must be the main entertainer.
[ hide ]
- 1 Story
- 2 Banquets are classified
- 3 Administrative organization
- 4 Reception and counseling
- 5 Controllership, credit department
- 6 Shopping
- 7 Evaluation letter
- 8 Billing
- 9 reservation and file policy
- 10 Files
- 11 Planning and assembly
- 1 Planning
- 2 Assembly
- 12 Types of assemblies according to services
- 13 Sources
In ancient Greece various banquets were held for purely festive purposes such as the bachelorhoods and symposia that have been reflected in literature (“The Banquet” in Plato’s dialogues) and the engravings of the time (for example in representations from the Tarquinia necropolis). The banquets of the Middle Ages and the European Renaissance were held in the wealthiest classes and in most cases served the practical purposes of power, in which they made pacts, alliances and covenants.
Banquets are classified
- Weddings -Business Dances -Fashion Shows
- Gala Dinners -Tributes -Business Meals
- New Year’s Eve and Kings dinners -Seminars -Persentation of characters
- Conferences -Conferences -Birthday
- Cocktails with different motives -Press conference -Inaugurations
For the perfect realization of a Banquet service we are going to expose an organization whose gear must be assembled so that, in due course, it is possible to face all kinds of services or banquets, so that they are carried out without a single one. lack of organization and make the client find everything, according to their desire.
The administrative organization of this service requires special attention to a file and print system, since these will facilitate an exact control of everything that must be done.
It is important to have controlled the smallest details of a service , from the first contact with the client until its completion. The forms to be used in the order required are as follows:
- reservation of rooms.
It is a form with the date and with some boxes where the name of each room is shown. After the visit of the [[client, whether it was personal or telephone, tentative or definitive, the reservation will be noted in this book, which aims to record the rooms occupied so that in no case can a “Salon be sold twice”, which which would entail a great problem of difficult solution.
The following concepts must be noted in each box on the form :
- Hall, Date the reservation is registered.
- Client’s name, address and telephone, type of Banquet, Time, Number of people, Observations.
The annotations in this book should always be made in pencil, in order to be able to erase them in case of cancellation. Cancellations must be recorded in the corresponding box, in order to record what has been deleted or canceled.
When a client requests a service on a certain date and the rooms are all committed but not confirmed, before giving a refusal, the banquet manager should contact the client who has made the reservation to remind them that they have it and see if they can confirm it. This should be done with tact, since the client can get upset and lose that service, for this reason a client whose visit is very recent should not be called, but on the contrary, tell the new client that after a few days they will try to solve the problem. way to give it a living room.
- Banquet Budget – Service Order:
The organization of confirmed services must be carried out two (2) days before its execution in order to coordinate in advance, all the departments that have something to do with the service, and that they are aware and can prepare what corresponds to them to do .
When making this order, special care will be taken so that all the details of the service appear clearly, adding the necessary appendices that may concern each department. A part of the day, time, number of people, and other data of the event to be carried out in the service order must include:
Menu Specifying the name of each dish, drinks and snacks. The menus can be: Coffee Breaks, Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners or Picaderas.
How each service and assembly is to be carried out.
Observations to kitchen and pastry about the way it will be served, and if necessary the way each dish should be prepared.
The appendices can be addressed as observations to the following departments, which are the ones that usually collaborate in a more direct way with the Banquet department, and as a general rule in each service. These Departments are:
Reception and counseling
So that you inform your employees and are in charge of putting up the posters or blackboards with the basic information of the event indicated, in areas of access to the rooms; that they are pending upon the arrival of the guests and can indicate them at their entrance through the main door, to the place where they should go.
== Housekeeper ==.
To be in charge of cleaning the halls and nearby areas, before and after each service, with special attention to the bathrooms.
Technical services – Maintenance department
To indicate the need for lights, sounds, air conditioning, placement of posters or decorations, platforms, dance floors.
Controllership, credit department
Advise on the payment method in which the banquet is held, and if an ATM is required for it.
If it is required to buy something special for the service of the guests who can attend especially if they are personalities. Effective communication is essential to involve the entire hotel in the banquet event, budgets or service sheets must be sent to all departments, which in carrying out the activity have responsibilities for its development.
The day after having given the service, the Food and Beverage department will send a letter of Evaluation of service to the Client or to the Company responsible for the event, which must include all the incidents and details that they may have had during the service. It is important to know through this letter how good or bad the service has gone; This will serve as constructive criticism, which will help improve service in the future.
The concepts that must appear in this letter are:
- Name of the Client or Organization.
- Banquet Type.
- Number of People, actual contracted and service.
- Date of its realization
- Ask your opinion or evaluation of the following services:
- Operation of technical services, lights, sound, air conditioning.
- Food presentation
-Prontitude of the service
- Courtesy and Hygiene of the staff
- Accuracy with service hours
The qualifications will be:
- all right,
- very good
and the answer to this letter will be received by the Manager of A and B who will see the evaluation and if he deems it necessary, he will comment on their incidents and send a copy to the General Manager, attaching for his part the comments that are necessary and immediately take the necessary measures .
At the end of a banquet service, the invoice must be prepared, stating in it the number of Guests, price per cover and the extra items that have been contracted or produced during the service.
Banquets are not normally paid in cash, since it is uncomfortable for the client to come with the amount of money so high that the payment of a banquet implies; in any case, sometimes it is usually paid through a check authorized by the credit department, therefore, at the end of the service, the invoice must be passed to the client to sign it, giving its approval.
The banquet manager must supervise the invoices before presenting them to the client, to see if they are correctly made and if they have loaded all the contracted items.
reservation and file policy
Reservations are regularly made by phone call or in writing (Letters or Fax) and we proceed to record it in the Banquet Reservation Book tentatively blocking a date and the room. To tentatively block a date and room, the following must be requested verbally and in writing:
50% advance of the total cost requested.
If it is sales of A and B, a minimum number of people guaranteed and who will be paid even if they do not attend the event. This must be reported verbally and in writing.
All requests must be quoted in writing, with a copy to the Food and Beverage Management.
The Letter – Quote must specify: place, person number, Date, Time, Assembly, Event, Coordinator and responsible for the group.
Credit should not be given to anyone who has not been previously authorized by the credit management office.
It is very important to keep a file system, so that any service already performed can be located at all times to find the necessary data.
Planning and assembly
The Banquet Manager, when the day comes to perform the service, should plan this, supervising in principle all the details that appear in the service order or banquet budget. In the first place, it must foresee, for the number of guests attending the banquet, the personnel required for it.
The need for service personnel varies in relation to the type of service to be offered, be it buffet or plated food.
For buffet food you need
- One waiter for every 25 people.
- A Bartender up to 150 people, thereafter (2)
- A Supervisor for more than 50 people.
For plated food they would be
- One waiter and one assistant for every 25 people
- A Supervisor for more than 40 people
- A Bartender up to 150 people, thereafter (2)
The banquet manager should also check that all the materials needed for the assembly are prepared, in perfect condition and verify if the quantity needed is available and on hand.
These Materials Are
- Chairs Clean and in good condition.
- Tables clean and in good condition.
- Clean tablecloths, ironed and without gaps.
- Clean napkins, ironed and without gaps.
- Clean and shiny cutlery.
- Clean and shiny tiles that are not broken.
- Clean and full salt and pepper shakers.
- Clean ashtrays.
- Clean and shiny glassware
- Proper decoration.
- Hot and cold food transport trolleys
- Pitchers for serving water
- Jugs for serving milk and coffee
- Food serving trays
- Trays for serving drinks
- Buckets to cool wine or champagne
- Auxiliary equipment (projector, screen, blackboard, flip chart, podium, pedestals, and microphones, simultaneous transmission equipment).
- Serving utensils (coolers and tongs)
- Stationery supply (napkins, removers, matches and others).
The assembly of a banquet requires enough time to properly execute all the details that the previously agreed planning requires.
The way to carry out the assembly will depend on the shape of the premises, dimensions, etc., as well as the number of diners to be serviced and its type.
It is convenient to make a small sketch with the distribution of the tables; Thus facilitating the work. The tables used in these services have larger dimensions than normal tables with folding or threaded legs. The measurements of these tables vary between two, three and a half or four meters long and 0.80 meters wide (for eating) and (0.40) meters wide as material support.
Mounting types according to services
- Weddings (Seated with meals): is where a presidential table is set up for the number of people previously indicated by the client. In front of it the tables of the rest of the guests will be set up; these can be round or rectangular. The cake should generally be placed in a place where you can have a better view, if it is danceable the track will be placed on one of the sides.
- Cocktail: for this type of service the set-up has no complications; Well, it’s just about setting up a bar counter from where to serve drinks and set the table for meals. Sideboards ashtrays will be placed around the living room and if the client wishes some chairs.
- Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners and Sitting Picaderas: the assembly for these services can be in various ways in a conventional way, depending on the number of guests.