The Abdominal Swelling is a condition caused by an accumulation of gas in the stomach and intestine level,often associated with intense abdominal pain. it is advisable to contact a doctor, who will be able to prescribe any necessary tests and diagnose a possible cause of .the disorder, thus prescribing therapeutic approaches more appropriate.
The causes of swelling
The bloating can be caused by certain foods , from soft drinks , from eating too quickly, the smoke , from stress , from ‘ anxiety and even the chewing gum .The bloating can be caused by various diseases, among which there are: appendicitis, gallstones, celiac disease , liver cirrhosis, cholecystitis, cystic fibrosis, viral gastroenteritis, lactose intolerance , intestinal obstruction, irritable bowel syndrome , cancer colorectal , ovarian cancer, gastric ulcer.
For many people, the cause of excessive bowel gas is reduced to:
- insufficient protein digestion (causing fermentation of some foods),
- inability to completely break down sugars and carbohydrates (some complex sugar compounds require the presence of enzymes to digest completely, however people may be lacking or lacking in them),
- imbalances in intestinal bacteria.
Abdominal bloating and feeding: food list
Diet plays a vital role in regulating how much air and feces are trapped within the digestive tract. To ensure that everything runs smoothly, make sure you take a high fiber diet , around 25-30 grams a day or even more. It is not very difficult when eating whole foods, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes and ancient cereals.
It can certainly help you monitor your symptoms after eating certain foods known to cause swelling, but remember that swelling is caused by your overall lifestyle, and not just food.
Some of the best foods to combat abdominal bloating are:
- Probiotics: The “good bacteria” called probiotics act as friendly intestinal insects in the digestive tract, killing the “harmful bacteria” that can trigger digestive problems and reactions. You can buy probiotic supplements, but it is also important to take them from natural probiotic foods such as: Kimchi ( traditional Asian dish with fermented vegetables and spices), sauerkraut, kefir, yogurt and Kombucha.
- Fresh (raw) dairy products : in the case of dairy products, I always recommend consuming raw milk compared to the traditional one sold in supermarkets, which has been pasteurized / homogenized.
The manufacturing processes can kill the enzymes necessary for proper digestion, even to the point that some people who think they have symptoms of lactose intolerance can consume raw dairy products without having allergic reactions.
Try to avoid even flavored yoghurts, which have artificial ingredients and, consume seasoned / whole cheeses instead of soft cheeses and consume kefir / yogurt instead of milk, which have a lower lactose content.
- Water-rich fruits and vegetables: fruits and vegetables that supply water, key electrolytes and beneficial enzymes are the best allies when it comes to alleviating swelling. Try to eat more raw or cooked green vegetables (cucumber, celery, fennel, artichoke, berries, melon, steamed vegetables and fermented vegetables).
- Herbs, spices and tea: natural calming herbs like ginger , dandelion, aloe vera and fennel have been used for thousands of years to soothe an uncomfortable belly.
Many herbs act as diuretics and help the body release extra fluids, while some, like ginger, can also help the stomach relax, releasing the muscles of the digestive tract and relieving constipation. Try to eat all kinds of fresh herbs (parsley, rosemary, oregano, etc.), fresh peeled ginger root, aloe vera juice, herbal teas or to use essential oils.
Don’t forget that green tea is also an anti-inflammatory and is a great choice to keep the intestines healthy.
- Chios chews: one of the most useful natural substances against stomach swelling is undoubtedly the Chios mastic, a resin from the homonymous Greek island, the subject of clinical studies that have shown its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Being a resin it is completely safe for use, but it is advisable to take it as a supplement, perhaps with the addition of other phytotherapeutic plants which are also useful for the balance of the stomach. Reflumed thanks to the presence of banana, mallow and marsh is very useful for stomach disorders. If you are interested in finding out more, check out our review or visit the manufacturer’s website directly .
Now that you know what you should eat, look instead at some foods that could make the swelling worse.
In most cases, some of these foods could be the cause:
- Sugar and sugary snacks: sugar ferments easily in the intestine and can contribute to the growth of candida and promote inflammation.
- Most dairy products: these include sugar-flavored yoghurts and artificial ingredients, but also other types as modern production processes can remove important enzymes.
- In some cases vegetables that are difficult to digest such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, onions and even garlic: they contain sulfur and some types of carbohydrates.
- Carbonated drinks
- Grain and refined cereal products: gluten is difficult to digest for many people, and in some cases also corn, oats and other cereals.
- In some cases, certain types of fermentable fruit , including apples, peaches and avocados can cause swelling.
- Beans and legumes that can cause gas.
- Artificial sweeteners: these contain aspartame, xylitol, sorbitol and mannitol.
- Chewing gum
Remedies For Abdominal Swelling
Still in the context of lifestyle, regular physical activity also helps to combat abdominal bloating.
It is also possible to take some substances that can alleviate this disorder, such as:
- intestinal gas-reducing substances (dimethicone, vegetable carbon, alpha-galactositase)
- some antibiotics
- probiotic lactic ferments, although their effectiveness may vary from strain to strain
- in patients with constipation, supplements based on soluble fibers, non-fermenting osmotic laxatives and stimulants of fluid secretion in the digestive tract
- in case of abdominal pain, antispasmodics
- molecules that increase gastrointestinal motility (prokinetics)
Finally, there are also some useful natural remedies for abdominal bloating, such as ginger, fennel seeds and extracts of some herbs, for example Melissa officinalis , peppermint, Fumaria officinalis .