Publishing is often equated with printing. Although many equate these two terms, they actually have differences. Publishing is a long process from the birth of ideas to produce information that can be printed and distributed to the public. In the process, there are several scopes in publishing that have their respective roles. Following is the scope of publishing.
The writer is the person who gives an idea or ideas in a book. But the author is not alone, there are several parts that have an important role in the workspace of an author. Some important roles in the author’s environment are as follows:
- Author: These are people who pour their ideas directly into a piece of writing. But unfortunately many people are reluctant to depend their lives in this profession.
- Adapters: These people act as the main idea takers from an original author or writer. But not all parts are taken.
- Translator: Duty to translate all parts of the writings of the author.
- Illustrator: In charge of giving illustrations to the writing either on the inside of the book or the layout and cover of the book.
- Book Publishers
As the name implies, the book publisher is in charge of publishing books. Meanwhile, according to the Graphic Lexicon, publishers are people who try to put out manuscripts as printed goods for distribution. The purpose of a publisher is as follows:
- To disseminate and and develop knowledge
- Presenting various sciences through publishing products
- Doing trade by looking for profits selling the products published
- Theory of message production
- Communication theory in organizational culture
- Theoretical approach in political communication
- Objectivity in communication theory
- Method of the objective approach in communication theory
To be able to do the publication of an article, a book publisher must perform several fairly long tasks as below:
- Duplicating Manuscripts
- Looking for authors / writers
- Estimating production costs (including raw materials, distribution, etc.)
- Estimating selling power
- Contact the designer
- Contact the printing press
- Promotion and distribution
- Publisher Agreement
Publishers are divided into two groups, namely conventional publishers and moderate publishers. Conventional publishers usually only issue books in accordance with publisher policy, while moderate publishers issue books in accordance with the wishes of readers or adjust to the flow of demand.
Posts that have been received by the publisher will then be forwarded to the printing press for mass printing to be distributed immediately. In this section, printing is only responsible for printing in accordance with the writing or prototype provided by the publisher. Therefore, it is often found writing ‘content outside the responsibility of printing’.
If there is a letter or content error that is not in accordance with the book, then the error does not originate from printing but from the publisher. Printing is only responsible for printouts in accordance with requests from the publisher.
- Aus theory in intrapersonal communication
- Network theory in organizational communication
- Structural theory in organizational communication
- How to make persuasive messages in business communication
- Communication theory in advertising
- Book Distributors
Unlike the printing press, book distributors have a duty to distribute or market books. In India, both book publishers and distributors are usually one company so they can lower costs.
However, considering that Indonesia is an archipelagic country which is quite extensive and requires fast movements, then another distributor is needed that will make the process of distributing books faster.
- Agent / Book Store
The scope of other publications is an agent or bookstore. Here readers can buy books according to their wishes. There are many bookstores in Indonesia that have complete collections, such as Gramedia. Not only real shops, online bookstores have also emerged, such as Gramedia Online, kutubuku.com, and other online bookstore sites.
- Marketing communication strategy in a mix media based business
- Public Relations Theory
- Theory of Mass Communication
- Message Theory in Communication Science
- intercultural communication
According to KBBI, the reader is a graphic term for a person who is given a task by the printer to read the printed copy with a copy to ensure that all corrections have been done well. But unfortunately, interest in reading Indonesian people was very low. Even based on a study, Indonesians only read books less than an hour each day.
Based on data from The World’s Most Literate Nations (WMLN) in 2016, the country with the highest number of readers in the world is Finland. Indonesia? Our country is ranked 60th. Even other Asian countries, such as Japan, Malaysia, and Singapore are still far above Indonesia.
- Literacy Agents
In Indonesia, literacy agents still sound very foreign. This profession is usually found in developed countries, such as the United Kingdom and the United States. In the scope of publishing, the literacy agent has the duty to determine whether the book is suitable for publication or not, it also determines a fair price for a book.
Although this task makes the money received by the author or writer to be reduced by 5 to 10%, but its existence is very helpful for the writer to determine where he will publish his book.
- The basic concept of organizational communication
- The effect of advertising messages on the use of marketing products
- Pattern of organizational communication
- Conflict theory in the sociology of communication
- The theory of human relations in organizational communication
That is the scope of existing publishing. All parties depend on each other for the sake of the creation of a book that is able to satisfy the thirst of the readers.