The chemistry is the science of materials , in terms of composition, structure and properties . It also studies the changes that matter undergoes, which can occur by chemical reactions or by the intervention of energy.
Chemistry opens into different specialties:
- Inorganic chemistry : Refers to all elements and compounds with the exception of those derived from carbon.
- Organic Chemistry : Study compounds and derivatives of carbon.
- Physicochemical : Study the relationship between matter and energy in a reaction.
- Analytical Chemistry : Establishes methods and techniques to analyze the chemical composition of substances.
- Biochemistry : Study the chemical reactions that take place in living organisms.
Although it is a complex discipline that requires a long preparation for its understanding and the advancement of knowledge, applications of chemistry can be observed in everyday life , since its application has improved our quality of life thanks to its combination with technology and industry .
Furthermore, chemical reactions occur in nature itself, in our own body, and in everything around us.
It can help you: Examples of Natural Sciences in Everyday Life
Examples of Chemistry in Everyday Life
- The pesticides are chemicals that are used to fumigate crops where our food is obtained.
- The food give us energy through chemical reactions within the cells .
- Each type of food has a different chemical composition, offering different contributions to the body.
- The helium is used to inflate balloons.
- The photosynthesis is the chemical process by which plants synthesize (produce) saccharides.
- In drinking water includes various chemicals such as mineral salts.
- Airborne chemicals known as smog , which damage our health.
- Different colorants are chemical compounds used to give industrial food a more attractive appearance.
- Food also enhances or changes its taste through chemical compounds called flavorings. Flavorings can mimic the taste of a natural product or develop an unknown flavor.
- The sulfur is used in tire repair.
- The chlorine is used for bleaching clothes, disinfecting surfaces and in small amounts also for water purification.
- The detergents are chemicals that are used to wash objects and our homes.
- The colorants are chemically developed to be able to give color to the fabrics that make up clothing and other items of daily use.
- Food is fermented and can no longer be safely consumed.
- Chemical substances known as preservatives are used industrially to prevent fermentation of food .
- The means of transport use different substances derived from petroleum that undergo chemical changes within their engines.
- Chemical analysis of tobacco smoke identified that it contains ammonia, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide , propane, methane, acetone, hydrogen cyanide, and other carcinogens. This discovery alerted us to the need to protect passive smokers.
- We usually use multiple plastic elements . Plastic is a chemical product obtained through the polymerization (multiplication) of long-chain carbon atoms , of compounds derived from petroleum.
- The leather is also chemically treated with compounds that prevent decomposition and can also give a different color to the natural.
- Different chemical substances make it possible to identify the potability of the water , through the identification of bacteria and inorganic substances.
- The so-called “ eco- leather” or synthetic leather is a polyurethane product, a chemical product obtained by the condensation of hydroxyl bases (alkaline molecules) and diisocyanates (highly reactive chemical compounds).
- The Neon is used for fluorescent lights.
- The breath is an exchange of substances in the lungs, studied by biochemistry.
- The diseases are treated with chemicals (drugs) that eliminate the microorganisms that cause them .
- The different mineral salts are used by the body to support all its vital processes.
- Knowing about smog and its components allows the development of chemical substances ( cosmetics ) that counteract its negative effects on our skin.
- The forensic chemistry studies the organic and inorganic compounds found at crime scenes, working with police investigations.
- Even the most basic foods like salt are chemical compounds: Salt is made up of cations (positively charged ions) and anions (negatively charged ions) through ionic bonds .
- Each part of our body has a specific composition that it needs to maintain to remain healthy. For example, nails are a compound of amino acids and different inorganic substances like calcium and sulfur.
- The chemical makeup of blood includes sugars, amino acids, sodium, potassium, chloride, and bicarbonate.