The Windows operating system needs to perform progressive changes for optimal performance. With Windows Update we can find news to guarantee the security of the system. However, sometimes the tool crashes and then we wonder how to fix the error when Windows Update keeps looking for updates?
The following tutorial is intended for Windows updates, but if you are looking to update drivers without programs in Windows 10 , it can also be done. Let’s continue with the Windows updates.
How to fix the error when Windows Update keeps checking for updates?
Windows is a system that requires changes and improvements. For this reason, there is an exceptional tool called Windows Update which allows us to install all the necessary updates so that our team responds without any problem.
Next, we present you relevant information about Windows Update and everything you should do when the tool “Freezes” and does not continue its normal update process.
On the other hand, now that we will deal in more depth with the Windows update tool. It is recommended that you create a shortcut to Windows Update in Windows 10 to access it more quickly.
What is Windows Update?
Windows Update is an application that includes the Windows operating system to download and install its updates. They are found in the “System and Security” options that are housed in the “Control Panel “ and can be configured to suit the user.
Windows Update configuration presents four options to the user: automatic installation recommended by the system, download for later installation, search for updates, and no procedure.
Types of updates
The Windows operating system offers two types of updates: critical updates that are required to improve your computer’s performance, and recommended updates that are optional.
Why should you update the Windows operating system?
Windows exhibits many weaknesses and, for this reason, it has the “Windows Update” security tool . This checks if the drivers, programs and components require updates. It also allows you to correct errors (bugs) in the system, take advantage of the improvements offered by the Microsoft company and greater protection against spyware and viruses.
Time required to download automatic updates
The download time depends on various factors such as the number of updates the computer needs, the size (in Mb) of each update and the speed of the Internet connection.
Updates are certainly very relevant, but as we noted, they carry considerable weight. Given this, it is best that you know how to free up space after installing Windows 10 Creators Update or any other important system update.
Check for updates
Checking for updates is a process by which Windows Update scans your computer to determine which applications, devices, and drivers require an update.
The user must check for updates manually if they have configured Windows Update for this. Therefore, an error may occur and the search will not proceed. In this case, you should do what is indicated below.
Solution to error when Windows Update keeps checking for updates
Initially, you need to open the start menu and type the cmd command . Then, right-click on “cmd.exe” and select the option “Run as administrator” (the Windows command console will open). Once there, type net stop wuauserv and press the “Enter” key. Finally, restart the computer and see if the failure could be corrected.
What should you do if Windows Update is still looking for updates?
If your computer is still checking for updates, then we recommend that you perform another procedure to resolve the problem:
- Go to Windows services, which you can access through the Start search options, just type the word “Services” and click on the result.
- Stop the Windows Update service, to apply this configuration you just have to click on this service and click on “Properties”. There go to Startup Type and select Disabled, then click on Stop, now click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
- After this, it will be necessary to delete some files remaining from old updates that could also cause problems with updates in Windows 10.
- Go to “C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution” and delete the contents of the “DataStore” and “Download” folders.
- Now you should verify that certain applications and modules are activated correctly. Focus on the services that we will mention below: Windows Module Installer (Manual) , Windows Installer (Manual) and finally Windows Update (Automatic) .
- Change to the options specified above by clicking on “Properties” changing the ” Startup Type ” and then click on “OK”.
- We recommend restarting your computer, after all this process, Windows Update should work correctly.
keep in mind that there are several errors when making updates. For this, we highly present another guide in which we talk about how to fix Windows Update errors when updating in Windows 10 .