The Topiramate is used to relieve convulsions , especially in the case of seizures , and to prevent migraine attacks .
What is Topiramate?
Topiramate works by influencing several molecules in the brain . Doing so reduces brain activity leading to seizures and prevents migraine attacks.
How is Topiramate taken?
Topiramate is taken orally . The intake should be combined with drinking good quantities of liquids ; can be taken with other medicines.
Side effects of Topiramate
Topiramate can increase metabolic acidosis , an accumulation of acids in the body. In addition, it can increase ammonium levels in the blood , decrease the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives and cause symptoms of serious vision problems.
Other possible side effects include:
- dry mouth
- loss of appetite
- stomach pain or discomfort
- respiratory tract infections
- changes in taste
- weight loss
It is good to contact a doctor immediately in case of:
- breathing difficulties
- feeling of tightness in the chest
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- bone pain
- burning, numbness or tingling
- reduced coordination
- reduced or painful urination
- persistent fever, chills or coughs or sore throats
- loss of consciousness
- memory problems
- changes in the menstrual cycle
- muscle or joint pain , cramps or weakness
- psychological or mood problems
- behavior changes
- red, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- annoying hearing disorders
- strong or persistent sleepiness
- severe pain in the stomach, side or back
- strong weight loss
- trouble speaking
- suicidal instincts
- difficulty concentrating
- trouble walking
- unusual eye movements
Warnings on the use of Topiramate
Topiramate is not indicated if you take Metformin and at the same time suffer from Metabolic Acidosis .
Treatment can change your ability to drive and operate dangerous machinery ; the effect can be aggravated by alcohol, which should not be taken simultaneously with the drug.
In addition, Topiramate can reduce sweating , leading (especially in children) to an increase in body temperature . This is more likely to happen in the heat or during intense exercise