The Tadalafil is used in the treatment of erectile dysfunction and of ‘symptoms of benign prostatic hypertrophy (eg difficult or painful urination). It is also a drug used to improve the exercise capacity of patients with pomonary hypertension .
What is Tadalafil?
Tadalafil promotes an erection as its action increases the blood flow to the penis following sexual stimulation. In addition, it also promotes blood flow in case of pulmonary hypertension, as it relaxes the blood vessels in the lung. Tadalafil is an inhibitor of the enzyme Phosphodiesterase .
How is Tadalafil taken?
Tadalafil is administered orally in the form of tablets.
Side effects of Tadalafil
Tadalafil among its side effects has very serious reductions, or losses, in vision and hearing .
Its other possible side effects include:
- indigestion or heartburn
- pain in the stomach, back, muscles, arms or legs
A doctor should be contacted as soon as possible in case of:
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue, hands, arms, feet, ankles or calves
- sudden drop or loss of vision, blurred vision or difficulty distinguishing colors
- sudden drop or loss of hearing, tinnitus
- erections lasting more than four hours
- breathing difficulties
- feeling of tightness or chest pain
- difficulty swallowing
- blistered or peeling skin
Contraindications and warnings on the use of Tadalafil
Before starting a Taladafil treatment, it is essential to tell your doctor:
- of any allergies to the active substance, to its excipients, to any other drug, to foods or other substances;
- of medicines, phytotherapy and supplements taken , in particular alpha-blockers, Amiodarone, antifungals, Apripitant, Bosentan, Carbamazepine, Clarithromycin, Diltiazem, Efavirenz, Erythromycin, HIV Protease Inhibitors, Lovastatin, drugs against high blood pressure, Nefazodone , Nevirapine, Fenobarbital, Phenytoin, Rifabutin, Rifampicin, Sertraline, Telithromycin, Hypericum, Verapamil and other drugs against erectile dysfunction or pulmonary hypertension;
- in case of recent intake of Riociguat or nitrates;
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from prolonged erections (more than 4 hours), diarrhea, vomiting, pulmonary veno-occlusive disease, disorders affecting the shape of the penis, diabetes, high cholesterol, high or low blood pressure , irregular heart beat , heart failure, angina , stomach ulcers, bleeding disorders or circulation problems, blood cell problems, liver, kidney or liver disease, retinitis pigmentosa or sudden vision loss (especially if associated with blockage of blood flow to the nerves of vision ), angina during sexual intercourse;
- in case of heart attack ;
- in case of stroke ;
- in the event that you do not take enough fluids or you suffer (or have suffered) from dehydration ;
- if you are a smoker ;
- if you drink alcohol ;
- in the presence of family cases of retinitis pigmentosa or sudden loss of vision (especially if associated with blockage of blood flow to the nerves of vision);
- if you have ever been prescribed to reduce sexual activity (even in the past);
- if you are a woman with pulmonary hypertension , if you are pregnant or breastfeeding .
Your doctor, surgeon and dentist should always be informed of taking Tadalafil.