The Sildenafil is used during the treatment of erectile dysfunction and improve exercise capacity in adults with pulmonary hypertension .
What is Sildenafil?
Sildenafil works by increasing blood flow to the penis following sexual stimulation, thus promoting an erection. It is an inhibitor of the phosphodiesterase enzyme , which therefore is also used in the case of pulmonary hypertension, as it relaxes the blood vessels in the lung.
How is Sildenafil taken?
The administration of Sildenafil takes place orally , in the form of tablets or suspension.
Side effects of Sildenafil
Sildenafil has side effects that manifest themselves on the visual or auditory apparatus . Among the former there are sudden drops in vision (up to total loss), while among the latter there are sudden drops or losses in hearing. Heart attack , stroke , irregular heart beat, brain or lung bleeding, high blood pressure and sudden death are among other side effects of Sildenafil.
Possible side effects of sildenafil include:
- difficulty distinguishing colors
- sensitivity to light
- hot flashes
- burning, numbness or tingling in the arms, hands, feet or legs
- muscle pain
A doctor should be contacted without hesitation in case the intake of the drug gives rise to:
- breathing difficulties
- feeling of tightness or chest pain
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- sudden loss of vision, blurred vision
- sudden reduction or loss of hearing, tinnitus
- dizziness or light-headedness
- worsening respiratory distress
- painful erections or erections lasting more than four hours
- burning or itching when urinating
Contraindications and warnings on the use of Sildenafil
If you have recently taken Riociguat or nitrates, or if you continue taking them, taking Sildenafil is contraindicated. In addition, it would be advisable to inquire about the risks that taking grapefruit or its juice can cause during treatment with sildenafil.
Before starting sildenafil therapy, it is advisable to notify your doctor:
- of any allergies to the active substance, its excipients, to any other drug, to foods or other substances;
- of the medicines, phytotherapy and supplements taken , in particular alpha-blockers, amlodipine, antifungals, anticoagulants, barbiturates, beta-blockers, Bosentan, Cimetidine, Efavirenz, Erythromycin, HIV protease inhibitors, Nevirapine, medicines against high blood pressure , anticonvulsants, Rifabutin, Rifampicin, Hypericum and other drugs against erectile dysfunction;
- if in the past you have suffered or still suffer from prolonged erections, pulmonary veno-occlusive disease, gastric ulcers, heart, liver or kidney diseases, bleeding disorders, circulation problems, disorders affecting blood cells, conditions that alter the shape penis, diabetes, retinitis pigmentosa or sudden loss of vision (especially if associated with blockage of blood flow to the nerves of vision), angina during sexual intercourse;
- in case of heart attack ;
- in the presence of family cases of retinitis pigmentosa or sudden loss of vision (especially if associated with blockage of blood flow to the nerves of vision);
- if you are a smoker ;
- if you have experienced dehydration (even recent);
- if you have ever been prescribed to reduce sexual activity (even in the past);
- if you are a woman with pulmonary hypertension , if you are pregnant or breastfeeding .
Your doctor, surgeon or dentist should be informed of taking Sildenafil.