The Lamotrigine is used in the treatment of certain types of epileptic seizures . It also finds use in the treatment of certain forms of bipolar disorder.It can be taken alone or in combination with other medicines.
What is Lamotrigine?
It is an anticonvulsant . Its precise functioning mechanism is not known.
How is Lamotrigine taken?
Lamotrigine is usually taken by mouth in the form of tablets. The dosage changes according to the cases taken into consideration.
Side effects on the use of Lamotrigine
In a few situations Lamotrigine can cause serious , sometimes fatal, skin reactions , such as Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis . It also increases the danger of aseptic meningitis .
Among its other possible side effects we also find:
- tarnished or double vision
- painful menstruation
- stuffy or runny nose
- stomach pain and other gastric ailments
- trouble sleeping
- He retched
- weight loss
It is essential to notify the doctor immediately if the use of Lamotrigine causes:
- breathing problems
- feeling of tightness in the chest
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- amenorrhea or other changes in the menstrual cycle
- pain or tenderness in the calves
- chest pain
- dark urine
- coordination problems
- difficult or painful urination
- fast or irregular heart beat
- fever, chills or continuous throat pain
- mental disorders or behavioral changes
- more severe seizures
- pale stools
- flaking, red or swollen skin, blisters
- severe muscle weakness or sensitivity
- severe or continuous dizziness or stomach pain
- shortness of breath
- sores in the mouth or around the eyes
- suicidal instinct
- swelling of the hands, ankles or feet
- swollen lymph nodes
- bruising or bleeding
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- itching or vaginal discharge
- vision problems
Warnings on the use of Lamotrigine
Lamotrigine can affect your ability to drive or operate dangerous machinery , primarily when taken in combination with alcohol or other medications. It can also alter the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives and interfere with the results of certain laboratory tests.It can take several weeks for the cure to give results, but in no case should it be stopped without consulting your doctor first.
Lamotrigine should not be taken if you are taking Dofetilide . Before starting therapy it is also essential to warn the doctor:
- possible allergies to the active substance, its excipients, other medicines or any food;
- the drugs, phytotherapics and supplements taken, specifically Carbamazepine, Valproate, Dofetilide, Atazanavir / Ritonavir, estrogens, Lopinavir / Ritonavir, Fenobarbital, Fenitoina, Primidone, Rifampicin, succinimides and hormonal contraceptives;
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from kidney, liver or heart disease, skin rash, mental or mood problems;
- in the presence of dialysis ;
- if you have suffered from rashes caused by Lamotrigine or other medicines for seizures;
- in the presence of suicidal thoughts or behavior;
- in the event of pregnancy or breastfeeding .
It is also necessary to inform doctors, surgeons and dentists about taking Lamotrigine