Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic : it acts on the kidneys, promoting the’ removal of water and excess salts through the urine .
What is hydrochlorothiazide used for?
Used alone or in combination with other medications, hydrochlorothiazide helps treat high blood pressure . In addition, it is used to treat water retention associated with diseases affecting the heart, kidneys and liver, or to taking medications such as estrogen and corticosteroids. It can also be useful in case of diabetes insipidus and, in the case of high levels of calcium in the blood, to prevent kidney stones .
How is hydrochlorothiazide taken?
Hydrochlorothiazide can be taken in the form of tablets, capsules or solutions for oral use . Generally it must be taken 1 or 2 times a day, but when it is used to treat water retention the doses can go down to only a few intake per week.
Side effects of hydrochlorothiazide
Among the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide are included
- frequent urination
- hair loss
- loss of appetite
It is important to contact a doctor immediately in case the intake of the drug triggers:
- fast heart beat
- muscle weakness, pain or cramps
- difficulty breathing or difficulty swallowing
- continuous pain that starts from the stomach but can extend to the back
- joint pain or swelling
- unjustified hematomas or bleeding
- fever, sore throat, chills and other symptoms of infection
- vision problems, eye pain or swelling or redness in the surrounding area
- dry mouth
- blistering or peeling of the skin
- He retched
Contraindications and warnings on the use of hydrochlorothiazide
In case of therapy with cholestyramine or colestipol it is necessary to take them one hour before or 4 hours after hydroclotiazide. It must be remembered that Hydrochlorothiazide can sensitize the skin to light : when taken, it is good to avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to the sun’s rays, and protect yourself with clothing, sunglasses and anti-UV factors.
Since the drug can cause dizziness and fainting , it is good, especially at the beginning of the treatment, to be careful when getting up from a lying position.
Also, before taking hydrochlorothiazide it is important to tell your doctor if:
- of allergies to the active substance, to sulfa antibiotics, penicillin or any other medication
- of medicines, phytotherapics and supplements taken, mentioning in particular barbiturates, corticosteroids, Corticotropin, Insulin, oral hypoglycemic agents, Fans, painkillers and antihypertensives
- if you have kidney disease
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from diabetes, asthma , gout, systemic lupus erythematosus, high cholesterol or liver disease
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding .