The fondaparinux is used to prevent the formation of blood clots following some surgeries (eg orthopedic surgery)It is also used in combination with warfarin to treat thrombosis of the lower limbs and lungs.
What is fondaparinux?
It is an anticoagulant . It works by hindering one of the steps of the blood clotting process, thus minimizing the danger of clot formation.
How is fondaparinux taken?
Fondaparinux is taken through injections.
Side effects of fondaparinux
Fondaparinux can reduce the level of platelets in the blood and affect the results of certain laboratory tests.
Among its other possible side effects we also find:
- slight bleeding,
- rash ,
- irritation or itching on the injection area
- sleep problems
It is essential to notify the doctor immediately in the presence of:
- breathing problems
- feeling of tightness in the chest
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- dark stools or blood in the stool
- trouble walking
- increased injury losses
- decreased appetite
- weakness on one side of the body
- pink or red urine
- severe or continuous dizziness or headache
- strong or continuous tiredness, weakness, nausea or vomiting
- trouble speaking
- swelling of ankles , feet or hands
- tingling or numbness (mainly in the legs and feet) and muscle weakness
- bruising and bleeding
- vomit that looks like coffee
Contraindications and warnings
Fondaparinux may not be indicated in case of kidney problems, bacterial heart inflammations, bleeding or bleeding problems, low platelets and the presence of antiplatelet antibodies and if you weigh less than 50 kg.
Before administering fondaparinux it is essential to notify the doctor:
- of possible allergies to the active substance, to its excipients, to any other medicine, to foods or other substances
- of the drugs, phytotherapy and supplements taken, specifically activated protein C, anticoagulants, direct factor Xa inhibitors, direct thrombin inhibitors, NSAIDs, platelet inhibitors, salicylates and any other medicines that can affect platelets
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from kidney, liver or gastrointestinal disorders, vision problems caused by diabetes, bleeding problems, brain bleeding, blood disorders, high blood pressure
- if it weighs little
- in the presence of stroke
- in the presence of recent or planned surgery on the brain, spine or eyes
- in the event of spinal injections
- in the presence of an epidural catheter
- in the event of pregnancy or breastfeeding
It is essential to warn doctors, surgeons and dentists about taking fondaparinux.