Enoxaparin is used to prevent the formation of blood clots in the presence of certain diseases or in combination with surgery.It can also be given in combination with other medicines to prevent certain complications of heart attack or angina .Finally, in some cases Enoxaparin is used to minimize the danger of recurrent heart attack .
What is Enoxaparin?
It is a low molecular weight heparin. It works by stopping the creation of blood clots.
How is Enoxaparin taken?
Enoxaparin is taken through injections.
Side effects of Enoxaparin?
Enoxaparin can decrease the amount of platelets and affect the results of certain laboratory tests.
Among its other possible side effects we also find:
- diarrhea ;
- slight pain, irritation, swelling, redness, bleeding or bruising on the injection area;
It is essential to notify the doctor immediately in the presence of:
- rash ;
- urticaria ;
- itching ;
- breathing problems;
- feeling of tightness in the chest;
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue;
- dark stools or blood in the stool;
- trouble walking;
- fainting ;
- pallor ;
- pink or red urine;
- severe or continuous dizziness, tiredness or weakness;
- tingling and numbness (mainly in the legs and feet) and muscle weakness;
- bleeding and bruising;
- coffee-like vomiting.
Contraindications and warnings on the use of Enoxaparin
Enoxaparin may not be indicated in the presence of high blood pressure , bleeding, intake of salicylates or Fans and low platelets in the case of antiplatelet antibodies.
Before administration it is essential to warn the doctor:
- of possible allergies to the active substance, to its excipients, to any other medicine, to foods or other substances, specifically to heparin, benzyl alcohol or products derived from pork;
- of the drugs, phytotherapics and supplements taken, specifically activated protein C, anticoagulants, Dextran, Dipyridamole, direct inhibitors of factor Xa, direct inhibitors of thrombin, Injectable cephalosporins and penicillins, Fans, platelet inhibitors, salicylates, sulfinpirazone, thrombolytics and nitrates;
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from kidney, liver or gastrointestinal disorders, visual disturbances caused by diabetes, bacterial infections of the heart, high blood pressure, bleeding problems, blood disorders, von Willebrand disease, low platelets;
- in the presence of bleeding after taking heparin;
- the presence of artificial heart valves;
- if it weighs little;
- in the presence of stroke ;
- in the presence of brain, spine or recent or planned eye surgery;
- in case of an epidural catheter;
- in the presence of spinal injections;
- in the presence of recent birth;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding .
It is essential to warn doctors, surgeons and dentists about taking Enoxaparin