The Codeine is an analgesic (pain-reliever) also has effect against cough . It works by changing the way the brain and nervous system respond to pain and by reducing the activity of the brain areas that control coughing.
What is codeine used for?
Codeine is used to counteract mild to moderate pain.
In combination with other drugs it is also used to calm the cough .
How is Codeine taken?
Codeine is available in the form of tablets, capsules and solution for oral use. Depending on the need, it can be taken every 4 or every 6 hours.
There are also ways in which the active substance is combined with other drugs, in particular: acetaminophen, aspirin and carisoprodol.
Side effects of codeine
Possible side effects of codeine include:
- mood swings
- difficulty urinating
- stomach ache
- feeling light-headed
- He retched
It is good to stop taking it and contact a doctor immediately in case of:
- fast, heavy or irregular heart beat
- difficulty breathing or difficulty swallowing
- vision problems
- noisy or shallow breathing
Contraindications and warnings of codeine
Codeine can be addictive : it is important not to go overboard and stick to your doctor’s prescription.
The drug, especially in the first few days of taking, can also cause dizziness when getting up from a lying position. Better be careful to avoid dangerous falls.
Codeine products based on promethazine should not be taken before 16 years of age.
Before taking codeine it is good to inform your doctor:
- allergies to the active substance, its excipients or other drugs;
- of medicinal products and supplements taken, mentioning in particular antidepressants, drugs against coughs, colds or allergies, anxiolytics, psychotropic drugs, drugs against nausea, anticonvulsants, MAO inhibitors, sedatives, sleeping drugs and tranquilizers
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from breathing difficulties, asthma, paralytic ileus, alcoholism, brain tumor or disorders that increase intracranial pressure, convulsions, psychiatric or lung diseases, prostate hypertrophy, urinary problems, low blood pressure, Addison’s disease allergies, diseases of the thyroid, pancreas, intestines, gallbladder, liver or kidney;
- in case of recent trauma or surgery;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding;
It is also necessary to inform surgeons or dentists about taking codeine.