Amantadine is used to prevent and treat certain types of flu.In addition, it is also used in the treatment of Parkinson’s and uncontrolled muscle movements related to taking certain drugs.
What is amantadine?
The mechanism of functioning of amantadine is not known. It is believed to block the reproduction of the influenza virus and minimize its ability to enter cells. In addition, it is believed that it can increase the levels of certain substances in the brain.
How is amantadine taken?
Amantadine is administered orally, usually in capsule form.
Side effects of amantadine?
Taking amantadine may be linked to the appearance of neuroleptic malignant syndrome.
Among its other possible side effects we also find:
- loss of appetite
- clouded view
- dry mouth
- nasal dryness
- strange dreams
- sleep problems
It is essential to immediately notify a doctor in the presence:
- skin rash
- breathing problems
- feeling of tightness in the chest
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- fast or irregular heart beat
- memory loss
- mood or behavioral changes
- muscle disorders
- personality changes
- sleepiness or serious or continuous sleep problems
- shortness of breath
- swelling of the hands, legs, feet or ankles
- suicidal instincts
- urination problems
- unusual anxiety or irritability
- visual disturbances.
Contraindications and warnings
Intake of amantadine may not be indicated in the presence of narrow angle glaucoma .
Before its administration it is essential to warn the doctor:
- possible allergies to the active substance, to its excipients, to any other medicine, to foods or other substances;
- the use of other drugs, phytotherapics and supplements taken, specifically thioridazine, anticholinergics, hydrochlorothiazide, quinidine, quinine, triamterene and stimulants;
- if you suffer (or have suffered) from heart ailments, swelling of the hands or feet, psychiatric or mood disorders, convulsions, glaucoma, low blood pressure , dizziness when getting up, rashes resembling eczema, kidney or liver disorders ;
- in the presence of suicidal instincts;
- if you have had a nasal flu shot in the 14 days before or if you intend to do so in the 2 days ahead;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Amantadine may impair your ability to drive and operate dangerous machinery. This side effect can worsen with certain medications or medicines. Furthermore, alcohol, heat, physical activity and fever can increase the dizziness caused by amantadine; for this reason it is better to get up slowly from lying down or sitting, mainly in the morning, and sit at the first signs of dizziness.
During therapy it is best to limit your alcohol consumption and avoid overheating.
Taking the drug should not be stopped abruptly. Otherwise unwanted side effects may appear.