It is used in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. It is also used in the diagnosis of erectile dysfunction.
What is Alprostadil?
It works by relaxing some muscles in the penis and promoting the expansion of its blood vessels, in order to increase the flow of blood to the penis and promote an erection.
How is alprostadil taken?
Alpostradil can be administered via vein infusions, intra-cavernous injections or intraurethral suppositories.
Side effects of alprostadil
Possible side effects include:
- slight bleeding in the injection area
- mild to moderate pain in the genitals
It is important to seek medical attention immediately in case of:
- swelling (face, throat, tongue or lips)
- skin rash
- feeling of heaviness, tightness or chest pain
- abnormal ejaculations
- curvature of the erect penis
- hemorrhages from the tip of the penis
- blood in the urine
- redness, lumps, swelling, sensitivity, inflammation, numbness, unusual sensations or loss of color of the penis
- bruising or bleeding, pain, swelling or severe or persistent redness at the injection site
- swelling of the veins in the legs
- white spots or leaking from the penis
- quantitative variation of urine produced
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- genital pain (new or worsening)
- painful or prolonged erections
Contraindications and warnings
Before treatment, the doctor should be informed of:
- about the presence of allergies to the active substance, to other drugs, to other substances or to foods;
- medicines, phytotherapy and supplements already taken in the past, in particular heparin and anticoagulants or medicines against erectile dysfunction;
- if you suffer (or have suffered in the past) from inflammations or infections of the penis, diseases that contract through the blood, kidney or urinary tract problems, painful or prolonged erections.
The drug may impair the ability to drive or maneuver hazardous machinery. This side effect can be aggravated by alcohol and some medicines.It is important to consult with your doctor in case of painful erections or erections lasting longer than 4 hours.