What is fasting and prayer? Will our heart’s desire be fulfilled by praying fasting? How to fast and pray and what is its importance? Let us learn what the Bible teaches about fasting and prayer?
Fast and pray
Where the name of God comes, there is also the name of prayer, devotional practice, worship and prayer, fasting. And all these things are associated with that one name – “God”. Today we will talk about fasting and prayer.
What is the relationship between the two “fasting and prayer” and how they work
Fasting and prayer are known for fellowship with God and focus on him. Having a dedicated time of prayer and fasting is not a process whereby God fulfills our desires, but through fasting and prayer, we can focus on God, helping us with strength, wisdom and our needs. By fasting and praying we become completely dependent on God and by prayer we come closer to God.
What does the Bible tell us about fasting and prayer?
In some countries, fasting and prayer have been seen as the Day of Atonement when everyone together repents of their sins and dedicates their lives to God – this custom is called the “Day of Fasting” . In the Israeli civilization, fasting and prayer were not only used for atonement, but fasting and prayer were done for different subjects like –
- Moses fasted during 40 days and 40 nightswhen he went to receive the Law of Israel from God on the mountain.
- Prayer and fasting were often performed in times ofcrisis or trouble , such as King David fasting when he learned that Saul and Jonathan had been killed. (2 Samuel 1:12)
- Fasting and prayers were done to save the country, to change it, and also to its advancement as Nehemiah the prophet did when he found out that Jerusalem wasstill in ruins. (Nehemiah 1: 4)
- We also fast and pray so that we can avoid further trials of the physical and the world, just as Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nightsbefore testing Satan . (Matthew 4: 2)
How to fast
- Motive:There has to be a motive behind your fasting, it has to be a subject, because of which you are fasting and praying and you want God to fulfill this purpose, this purpose, change your situation, Make you successful
- God’s will:We do not have to fast and pray to fulfill our physical desires but to see the fulfillment of God’s will in our lives and to deepen our relationship with God.
- Fasting for the first time:If you are fasting for the first time, start with a few hours of fasting and during this fasting time you pray, worship it, keep the subject of your fast before God. Beg him and believe in him that he is capable of fulfilling these subjects.
- Especially in the Bible, it is written aboutfasting : When you fast, do not let your face be sad as hypocrites, because they keep their mouths, so that people will know them as residents; I tell you the truth, that they have received their reward. But when you fast, wash your head with oil stool and mouth. So that not the people but your father who is in secret know you. In this case your father who sees in secret, will reward you. (Matthew 6: 16–18). This means that you do not fast and pray to show people that you will not get any reward. Firstly, this fast should be dedicated to God and secondly this fast should be with a purpose, a purpose.
And gradually you can increase your fast. Earlier you were fasting for a few hours, now you can fast from morning to evening and gradually 3 days fasting, 1 week fasting, 40 days fasting, 30 One can fast the day in this way.
If you fast and pray in this way, then soon you will see the completion of those subjects for which you are fasting.
If you want to know more deeply about fasting and prayer, you can contact us. Let’s go to this new floor.