Tronchón cheese . Variety of cheese originating in the Aragonese town of Tronchón . Its production area is the natural region of the Maestrazgo , a historic Spanish region that extends through the southeast of the province of Teruel, in the north of the province of Castellón and in the southern part of the province of Tarragona . Although it has spread through the Maestrazgo region until it reached the Valencian Community , where it has been protected with a quality mark since December 23 , 2008
[ hide ]
- 1 Features
- 2 Geographical area
- 3 Background
- 4 Sources
Made with raw or pasteurized milk from sheep , goat or both depending on the availability of livestock. Sheep’s milk from the Aragonese rasa , guirra and other breeds is used . It is an enzymatic coagulation cheese with vegetable coagulant Cynara cardunculus or with rennet, of intense pressing. It is circular in shape, presenting a volcano-shaped hole on both sides and a characteristic flower-shaped pattern on the bark. Its color varies from ivory white to light brown. It weighs between half and two kilos with an elastic paste of ivory white or yellowish color. It has a deep taste of sheep’s milk depending on its intensity of how aired it is.
This cheese originates from the town of Tronchón, although it has spread throughout the Maestrazgo region, straddling the provinces of Teruel and Castellón and, finally, due to the transhumance throughout the province of Castellón.
It is not known since when this cheese is made, but there are data that confirm that in 1615 it was already a famous cheese throughout Spain . Miguel de Cervantes refers to him twice, in chapters LII and LXVI, in the second part of his great masterpiece El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha .