Shar pei is one of the most popular Chinese dog breeds due to its peculiar appearance, as it has infinite wrinkles that cover its body. But its charm goes beyond appearances, since the shar pei has a very special character. Although they are somewhat independent , these dogs are very loyal, serene and protective with their relatives. Therefore, they need to be properly socialized and educated to learn to relate positively with other individuals and with their own environment.
It is also an active and intelligent dog that needs to channel and positively express its energy to maintain balanced behavior and an optimal quality of life. In addition to avoiding the development of behavioral problems, symptoms of stress or boredom. Therefore, if you have decided to adopt a dog of this breed, we invite you to continue reading this article from Animal Expert to know how to train a shar pei puppy or adult .
You may also be interested: How to train a border collie?
- The behavior of the shar pei
- Preparing the right equipment to train a shar pei
- Shar pei training according to age
- How to train a shar pei puppy?
- Stages of puppy shar pei training
- Training an adult shar pei
- The socialization of your shar pei will be key in their training
- Physical activity and mental stimulation for shar pei dogs
- 6 keys to train your shar pei correctly
The behavior of the shar pei
Although there is a tendency to talk about common traits when defining the character or behavior of a breed, the truth is that each dog is the owner of a unique and singular personality . During learning, each dog will need its own time and must always have the dedication, patience and knowledge of its tutor to internalize and correctly execute the proposed exercises.
Therefore, knowing your dog is the essential first step in knowing how to educate him. Remember to spend a special time sharing with your best friend, observing their behavior, their postures and facial expressions. By understanding dogs’ body language better , you can better establish communication and strengthen your bond with your furry.
In general, the shar pei is a serene and balanced dog , which is more independent than most of the dog breeds. This does not mean that you do not enjoy the company of your tutors, but that you will not always be aware of their attention and you will need to have your moments of solitude and tranquility.
However, these furry ones are very loyal to their guardians and demonstrate enormous courage in protecting and defending them from any threat. Therefore, they can be somewhat suspicious and reserved in the presence of strange people and animals. Likewise, with the correct socialization , your shar pei will be able to relate positively with other dogs, people and with their own environment.
Of course, we must remind you that the behavior of the shar pei is not determined only by its genetic inheritance  , although it is an important aspect. Education, lived experiences, training, care and the environment are determining factors for the dog’s behavior.
Therefore, if you want your shar pei to be obedient, calm and friendly, you should not neglect his training or his socialization. It will also be crucial to offer them adequate preventive medicine and a positive and safe environment , where they can freely develop their physical, cognitive, social and emotional capacities.
Preparing the right equipment to train a shar pei
Before you start practicing basic obedience orders with your dog, you should understand what training a dog consists of. To help you, we offer you an initiation to dog training with valuable information about its fundamentals and basic guidelines. In addition, we recommend that it is essential to know and review the 5 training tricks that every owner should know , as they will help you understand how to educate a shar pei at home in a simpler and safer way.
When you feel ready to start training with your dog, you should prepare your own training equipment , with the following elements:
- Collar / harness
- Regulatory strap
- Long strap
- Belt bag
- Treats and other prizes
- Clicker (optional)
Although the clicker is not essential in training, it can (and greatly) facilitate the trainer’s work when well employed. If you want to know more about this device and learn how to use it to teach your furry, we recommend reading our article on the dog clicker .
Shar pei training according to age
The training, as well as the physical training and mental stimulation of a dog, should always be adequate according to its age, state of health and physical capacity . We will never begin the education of a puppy presenting complex and difficult tasks to execute, because they need to learn progressively .
Therefore, we will always begin to train them with basic and simple to assimilate orders. Little by little, you can increase the difficulty of the exercises, always using positive reinforcement to stimulate their learning and reward their effort. Next, we tell you how to educate a shar pei at home according to his age.
How to train a shar pei puppy?
The ideal age to start the training of your shar pei puppy will be from 3 months of age, when it is fully weaned. Remember that it is essential to respect the weaning period of dogs , since a puppy prematurely separated from its parent can have learning and socialization difficulties, as well as a weaker immune system.
If puppies have been born in your home, you can use early stimulation to boost their cognitive, emotional and social capacities from the first weeks of life. Also, even if you cannot start training them in this first stage, you must start educating them from their birth. For example, transmitting the rules of conduct that are considered appropriate at home, such as not getting on the couch and not nibbling on the trash. It will also be essential that puppies learn to recognize their name as soon as possible.
In our article on how to educate a puppy step by step , we tell you more about the first education of your furry, from birth or arrival at home, the first walks and step by step to teach him to stay alone at home and manage his loneliness in a positive way. We also remind you that teaching your dog to inhibit his bite is a key element for his social life, since it will allow him to play and live with other individuals (be they dogs, people or other animals) in a positive and safe way. And considering the powerful jaws of big, sturdy dogs like the shar pei, this training becomes even more important.
The physical activity of the puppies should also be moderate so as not to impair their correct physical and mental development. The proposed exercises should be low impact, but high in entertainment content. Play is a key element in the education of every dog, since it acts as a playful element to stimulate their curiosity and allow them to develop their senses and their cognitive, emotional and social capacities.
Stages of puppy shar pei training
To help you better understand how to train a puppy shar pei, we present you with an optimal staged division to guide your training:
- From 3 to 6 months: the training of a shar pei puppy should always start with the basic orders of canine obedience , such as coming, sitting down, sitting still, getting up, walking with you and not pulling on the leash . In this first stage, your objective will be to propose simple and unitary orders, which do not lead to the execution of multiple tasks to achieve success. We should not exaggerate the complexity of the exercises, since this could confuse the puppy and generate a feeling of frustration. It is also advisable to teach your shar pei puppy to relieve himself on the street , as well as not neglect his socialization (later we will explain the importance of this period, in a special section).
- From 6 to 12 months: when your puppy already knows how to correctly carry out the basic exercises, you can include new orders in his training. At this time, we recommend you teach him to bring objects and properly greet people . In addition, you can include other tricks that you like, such as “rolling” or “screw up”, always respecting your dog’s learning times and using positive reinforcement to stimulate him to continue learning new tasks.
Training an adult shar pei
Having completed the basic level of dog training with your shar pei, you will be able to enjoy and surprise yourself with the intelligence of your furry in an advanced training. Starting him in Agility will be an excellent decision to keep him physically and mentally stimulated during his adulthood. On the other hand, searching is highly recommended to stimulate your sensory and cognitive capacity. In addition, you can teach him funny tricks, canine sports or memory games.
Again, if you feel that you do not have the time or knowledge to deepen your shar pei’s education at home, we recommend that you go to a dog training center for guidance from an advanced training professional.
The socialization of your shar pei will be key in their training
The socialization of the puppy is key to achieving an obedient dog, balanced and confident. During the socialization period, your shar pei will learn to relate positively to people, to other animals and to their own environment and the elements that make it up. This will prevent the appearance of fears and many other unwanted behaviors, such as fear or anxiety.
Ideally, your shar pei will begin to socialize during its early stages (between the third week and three months of life), but after completing its first vaccination and deworming cycle (usually around three months of life). ) We must continue offering positive experiences together with other people, dogs, animals and environments. It is during this period of their life that dogs form their basic notions of coexistence with other individuals, in addition to demonstrating a more flexible character, which favors learning.
However, it is also possible to carry out the socialization process when your furry is an adult, always having patience and applying positive reinforcement to stimulate it. To help you, we recommend reading our tips for socializing an adult dog .
Physical activity and mental stimulation for shar pei dogs
Although not exactly a hyperactive dog, like the Border Collie or Belgian Shepherd Malinois, the Shar Pei also needs to maintain an active and healthy routine to manage a healthy weight, burn energy and maintain balanced behavior. A sedentary shar pei, who does not practice exercises or walks daily, may present symptoms of stress or boredom, in addition to having greater difficulty concentrating and learning correctly the orders you want to teach him.
For this reason, your shar pei training must necessarily include daily physical activity and cognitive training . In addition to walks outside, you can consider starting it in some canine sport or exercise. In addition, if you are wondering how to play with a shar pei at home, we teach you 6 activities to have fun with your dog at home , and we also propose you to practice intelligence games to stimulate his learning ability and his senses without leaving home.
As you will see, shar pei are intelligent and sensitive dogs that need dedicated and patient handlers, who have the time and space available to provide them with an optimal quality of life. They must also receive adequate preventive medicine throughout their lives, to stay healthy, active and happy. For this reason, remember to take your shar pei to the vet every 6 months , respect your vaccination letter and periodic deworming. In addition to offering the specific care that this breed requires to preserve its good health and avoid the common skin problems in shar pei .
6 keys to train your shar pei correctly
To finish this complete guide to shar pei training, we offer you six basic tips that every owner should know and apply:
- Training requires perseverance: your shar pei will need you to be patient and commit to helping them assimilate the orders, one by one. Training is a constant and gradual process, where each exercise must be properly absorbed, memorized and perfectly executed. If you feel like you don’t have enough time or patience, you can find a professional trainer to help you train your shar pei.
- Know when and how much to teach: obedience orders should be trained daily, but always in short sessions. The ideal is to allocate 10 to 15 minutes for each training session with your furry. If you exaggerate in the length of each section, you will tire and tire your dog, which is counterproductive to his learning.
- Understand how to teach: the exercises must be practiced one by one to allow their comprehensive understanding and perfect execution, without confusing or overloading the dog. It usually takes 3 to 10 days for dogs to fully understand, associate, memorize, and execute each command. However, the exact time may vary depending on the dog, the complexity of the exercise and the dedication of each tutor. Let’s not forget that our commitment is key to stimulate the cognitive capacities of our furry, and facilitate their learning.
- Choosing the ideal place to train: choosing the right place to teach is as important as respecting the frequency and duration of the training sections. It is important to avoid noisy places or places that have an excess of stimuli (such as aromas, sounds, people, dogs, other animals, etc.). A quiet place will help your dog focus on his training and can more easily understand the commands.
- Using positive reinforcement to educate and stimulate: Positive reinforcement is the best method to teach and stimulate the intelligence of your shar pei. Unlike aversive methods, such as positive punishment, dogs respond much better to this type of education, learn more quickly, and show fewer signs of stress.  Remember that exposing your best friend to contexts of high stress and / or intense fear damages their health and can favor the development of numerous behavioral problems, such as aggressiveness, fear or phobias.
- Review the exercises already learned: each taught order must be reviewed to reaffirm your learning and avoid forgetfulness. The ideal is to reserve 1 to 2 days a week to review and reinforce the exercises already memorized.