Sports sponsorship is a marketing strategy based on the advertising or patronage of clubs, people or sporting events that, due to the impact they achieve, the product or service that is sold reaches a very wide and heterogeneous audience.
Companies and brands are committed to the world of sports to make themselves known. It is a very successful market that moves a lot of money.
Sports competitions such as the Olympics, the NFL final or soccer teams sporting advertising on their jerseys become optimal channels for dissemination of this entertainment industry. Sports sponsorship is also an ideal communication tool for those brands that seek to link their image to the values that define sport.
How does a sports sponsorship work?
Under this marketing action, the athlete or club receives an economic endowment, personalized services or professional advice . In exchange, the sponsor (the company or brand) takes the promotional rights to carry out marketing strategies associated with the image of the protagonist (club, athlete or event).
Sports sponsorship itself is not a marketing channel, but a communication platform for a brand with multiple points of contact with the consumer. Hence, well-invested advertising achieves higher investment returns, as well as better alignment with the sponsoring brand and greater commitment to the public it is targeting.
What goals does the sports sponsor set?
There are several objectives of the sports sponsor:
- Promote the image of the company so that it is perceived positively and progressively by the public.
- Increase brand exposure on various types of channels and increase public relations. More overall visibility for the company.
- Generate brand value of the company. Something essential for it to become a safe market value for users.
- Achieve a favorite perception of the potential audience through social sponsorship. Position itself as the favorite brand by consumers.
- Increase sales of a product or service. An event always has a goal. Selling products or services are irrefutable missions to be achieved by any company.
- Achieve an image transfer whereby the values of sport are associated with the sponsored brand. Provide a positive relationship that gives value to the brand thanks to something that usually permeates a lot in society, such as the sports aspect.
How to use sports license effectively
Here are some ways to do it:
- Increasing exposure and awareness through high-profile media rights to demonstrate a positive role in society by creating community programs that can engage audiences that are difficult to reach by other means.
- Access to sports talent can be used to create publicity material and content that can be distributed through multiple channels.
- The right to use brands and logos on products and promotions can be a key differentiator.
Building a solid and effective sports sponsorship strategy becomes a complex process that requires a complete analysis and investigation of key aspects embodied in an adequate proposal.
The common values between patron and club or athlete must be studied so that both manage to take advantage of the shared brand positioning. In this way they will obtain a joint benefit.