The shareholder is the set of shareholders of an organization or company.

The group of people or economic agents who own shares or shares of a company is designated as shareholders . The total set of shareholders corresponds to 100% of the ownership of the company within which shareholders with majority and minority interests can coexist.

Elements of the shareholding

The shareholder is made up of individual shareholders, that is, any agent that owns shares of a company or company. The shareholders can be both natural and legal persons.

It should be remembered that an action is a title or financial value that represents a right on the property of the company. Usually, the more actions an agent has, the greater the power of decision or veto will have on the direction that the company will follow and its internal and external development policies.

The shareholders can be grouped into two large groups: minority and majority. The former have a small number of shares so they have no decision power in the company unless they manage to group and consolidate their position. The latter, on the other hand, have a significant amount of actions, so they can influence the strategic decisions of the company.

Shareholder Structure

When we talk about the structure of the shareholder we refer to the description of how the shares are distributed among different types of holders. The latter can be cataloged in various groups such as: institutional / private, national / foreign, wholesalers / retailers, etc.

As an example, let’s look at the shareholding structure that is presented on the website of the Red Eléctrica de España: “ The shareholding of the Company is made up of 20%, owned by SEPI and a remaining 80% that is freely quoted ( free-float). The company’s share capital is 270,540,000 euros, which is represented by 541,080,000 bearer shares, fully subscribed and paid up, with a nominal value of 0.50 euros . ”

In addition, it is described that within 80% of free contribution, 65% is foreign institutional, 5% Spanish institutional and 10% of retailers.

Popular Shareholding

It refers to the case in which the shareholders are the clients or fans of an organization or company. They are the key decisions of the company.

Popular shareholders usually apply in the case of sports clubs or other associations with a large group of fans. In fact, the origin of this form of administration was born in 2005 to take ownership and control of the Manchester United football club


by Abdullah Sam
I’m a teacher, researcher and writer. I write about study subjects to improve the learning of college and university students. I write top Quality study notes Mostly, Tech, Games, Education, And Solutions/Tips and Tricks. I am a person who helps students to acquire knowledge, competence or virtue.

Leave a Comment