There are several causes that can be the origin of vomiting and feeling sick and, therefore, before deciding to take a medication, you should always talk to your doctor to find out which is the most suitable. Often, simultaneously with these symptoms, the person can also have diarrhea, but if this happens, the treatment to be carried out should be different, being very important to drink fluids in both cases.
Nausea is a very common symptom in pregnant women, who should not take these medications unless the doctor understands that the benefits outweigh the risks. The same is true for children, even though many of these drugs are available in infant formulas, they should only be used with the permission of the pediatrician.
Also, there are many people who when traveling feel sick and vomit. In these cases, the medicine must be taken in advance, before the trip, to avoid these symptoms.
How to relieve nausea and vomiting
Nausea and vomiting are symptoms that can be caused by food, labyrinthitis, gastrointestinal problems, migraine, hangover or food poisoning, for example. In these cases, the doctor may prescribe medication, such as:
- Domperidone ( Domperix , Peridal , Motilium ): It is available as a tablet or an oral suspension and can be used to relieve nausea and vomiting of a functional, organic, infectious origin, caused by some drugs or foods. It should be taken about 15 to 30 minutes before meals, 3 times a day. Learn more about dosage, contraindications and side effects .
- Metoclopramide ( Plasil , Primperan ): Also available as a tablet or oral solution and can be used for the relief of nausea and vomiting caused by surgery, metabolic or infectious diseases, or medication. It should be taken about 10 minutes before meals, 3 times a day. Learn more about this medication .
- Ondasetron ( Vonau ): This medication is usually used to relieve nausea and vomiting caused by certain treatments, such as chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or prevention of these symptoms after surgery. Know the contraindications and side effects of this medication.
- Bromopride ( Digesan , Fágico , Digestil , Pridecil ): Bromopride is available in drops, solution and capsules and is indicated to relieve nausea and vomiting caused by surgery, infections, metabolic or medication-related problems. See dosage, contraindications and side effects here .
- Dimenhydrinate ( Dramin ): This medication is indicated for the relief of nausea, vomiting and dizziness caused by movement or caused by treatments such as radiation therapy or surgery. In addition, it is also indicated in the prevention and relief of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy, but should only be used if recommended by the doctor. It can be taken every 4 or 6 hours.
- Promethazine ( Phenergan ): Promethazine is generally used to prevent vomiting after surgery and to prevent nausea when traveling, with sedation and drowsiness being very common as a side effect.
Medicines to control nausea and vomiting, especially in children and pregnant women, should only be taken if symptoms are very severe and if your doctor recommends it.
It is also very important to drink liquids such as tea, water or coconut water, for example, to prevent dehydration. Both children and adults can also take a homemade serum or oral rehydration salts, which can be purchased at the pharmacy.
In addition, you should also go on a diet for a few days, avoiding bulky, fatty and industrialized foods and preferring rice porridge, boiled rice with carrots, soup, white meats such as turkey and chicken or cooked fish, for example.