Phosphorus is found in the body both in organic and inorganic form, in bones and teeth (about 80%), but also in blood and soft tissues.The main sources are milk and cheese, fish, meat, dried fruit and whole grains.Phosphorus is the second macro element present in our body after Calcium.It is the second most abundant mineral in the body, and is 85% concentrated in bones and 15% in soft tissues and blood .
Functions in the body
Phosphorus performs several functions in the body:
- as tricalcium phosphate and hydroxyapatite it is a constituent of the mineral fraction of bones and teeth;
- forms high energy bonds, such as those present in ATP and phosphocreatine (chemical energy storage forms);
- in the blood it constitutes an important buffer system for pH regulation;
- it is a constituent of enzymes, proteins , phospholipids, nucleic acids and nucleotides ;
- regulates important biochemical processes such as glucose uptake , phosphorylation mechanisms and the affinity of hemoglobin for oxygen;
- activates some vitamins.
Main food sources of phosphorus
- Whole grains,
- wheat germ,
- soy lecithin ,
- canned drinks,
- the sausages.
In which foods is phosphorus present?
Foods particularly rich in phosphorus are meat (both red and white), milk and dairy products and some vegetables (especially peas , peanuts and broad beans ). Smaller quantities are contained in cereals , legumes and eggs .
What is the daily phosphorus requirement?
The phosphorus requirement corresponds to about 12-14 mg / kg of body weight per day .
What are the consequences of phosphorus deficiency?
The phosphorus deficiency can cause diseases such as rickets in children and the ‘ osteomalacia in adults . An imbalance between phosphorus and calcium levels can also lead to the development of osteoporosis .
What are the consequences of excess phosphorus?
The ‘ excess phosphorus can result in muscle spasms and cause a reduction in blood calcium levels .
Is it true that phosphorus improves memory?
There is no scientific evidence that taking phosphorus improves mnemonic abilities: instead of relying on a single nutrient, to keep the brain healthy for as long as possible, it is good to ensure a healthy and balanced diet accompanied by physical activity , also light, as long as it is constant.