MySQL Connector / ODBC : The name of the controller family MySQL ODBC (formerly called MyODBC drivers) that provide access to a database MySQL using the industry standard connectivity Open Database (Open Database Connectivity).
[ hide ]
- 1 General
- 2 Versions
- 3 Architecture
- 1 Application
- 2 Controller Manager
- 3 Connector / ODBC Driver
- 4 Configuration DSN
- 5 MySQL Server
- 4 Administrators
- 5 Where to connect
- 6 Compatible Platforms
- 7 Sources
Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) is a standardized API that allows connection to SQL database servers . It is based on the CLI call level interface , X / Open and ISO / IEC specifications for the database APIs and uses the SQL structured query language as the database access language.
It has been developed according to the SQL Access Group specifications and defines a set of function calls, error codes and data types that can be used to develop independent database applications. ODBC is generally used when database independence or simultaneous access to different data sources requires it.
Generally, you need to install Connector / ODBC only on Windows computers . For Unix and Mac OSX you can use the native MySQL network or named pipeline to communicate with your MySQL database . You may have Connector / ODBC for Unix or Mac OSX , if you have an application that requires an ODBC interface to communicate with the database. Applications that require ODBC to communicate with MySQL include ColdFusion , Microsoft Office , and FileMaker Pro .
There are currently two versions of Connector / ODBC:
Connector / ODBC 5.1 – Currently in the state of Georgia, it is a partial rewrite of the base 3.51 code, and is designed to work with MySQL versions 4.1.1 and later.
Connector / ODBC 5.1 also includes the following changes and improvements over version 3.51:
- Improved support for Windows 64-bit platforms.
- Full Unicote support at the controller level. This includes support for the SQL_WCHARdata type, and support for Unicode user, password, and DSN configurations.
- Support for the SQL_NUMERIC_STRUCTdata type, which facilitates access to the precise definition of numerical values.
- Windows native in the configuration library. This replaces the Qt-based library interface to configure the DSN information in the ODBC Data sources application.
- Support for the ODBC descriptor, which improves the handling and metadata of the columns and the parameter data.
Connector / ODBC 3.51 – This is the current version of the 32-bit ODBC driver , also known as the MySQL ODBC 3.51 driver . The Connector / ODBC 3.51 has support for the 3.5 x 1 ODBC specification level (completes the core Level 2 API ) which continues to provide all ODBC functionality to access MySQL .
The Connector / ODBC architecture is based on five components, as shown in the following figure:
The application uses the API to ODBC to access data from the server MySQL . The ODBC API in turn uses communication with the Driver Manager. The application communicates with the call handler using the ODBC standard . The app doesn’t care where the data is stored, how it is stored, or even how the system is configured to access the data. You need to know only the DSN data source name .
Driver Manager is a library that manages communication between the application and the driver or drivers. Perform the following tasks:
- The DSNis a configuration string that identifies a given database driver, the database’s host database, and optionally the authentication information that enables an ODBC application to connect to a database using a standardized reference.
- Because database connectivity information is identified by the DSN, any ODBC compliant application can connect to the data source using the same reference DSN . This eliminates the need to separately configure each application that needs access to a given database, but will teach the application to use a pre-configured DSN .
- Upload and download of the drivers necessary to access a specific database as defined in the DSN. For example, if you have configured a DSN that connects to a database MySQL , the driver manager Connector / ODBC be charged to the API of ODBC to communicate with the host of MySQL .
- The ODBCfunction processes calls or passes to the controller for processing.
Connector / ODBC Driver
The driver Connector / ODBC is a library that implements the functions supported by the API in ODBC . That process calls the ODBC function, sends SQL requests to MySQL , and returns the results to the application. If necessary, the driver modifies requesting a request so that the request conforms to the syntax supported by MySQL .
The ODBC configuration file stores the database of drivers and information necessary to connect to the server. It is used by the Driver Manager to determine which driver to load according to the DSN definition . The driver uses this to read connection parameters based on the specified DSN .
The MySQL database is where the information is stored. The database is used as the source of the data (in queries) and the destination of the data (in inserts and updates).
An ODBC Driver Manager is a library that manages communication between the ODBC application and drivers for any account. Its main functionality includes:
- DSNdata source name resolution .
- Loading and unloading driver.
- Processing of calls to ODBCfunctions or passing them to the driver.
Where to connect
The ODBC connector / drivers can be installed using two different methods, a binary installation and a source code installation . Binary installation is the easiest and simplest method of installation. Using the source installation methods will only be necessary on platforms where a binary installation package is not available, or in situations where you want to customize or modify the installation process or ODBC connector / drivers before installation.
The Connector / ODBC can be used on all major platforms with MySQL support . It can be installed in:
- Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, XP and 2003.
- All Unixas operating systems, including: AIX , Amiga , BSDI , December , FreeBSD , HP-UX 11.10 , Linux , NetBSD , OpenBSD , OS / 2, SGI Iris , Solaris , SunOS , SCO OpenServer , SCO UnixWare , Tru64 Unix .
- Mac OSXand Mac OSX Server