One of the advantages of the Google Docs document application is the possibility of working online , with an automatic backup of our files.
However, we do not always have a stable Internet connection, so in this article we will show you how to use Google Docs without an Internet connection ; so you can continue your work despite being offline.
What is Google Docs
It is a free online word processor that allows you to create documents without having to install other programs. It is compatible with most text formats, like .docx .pdf .txt, you can even upload, edit and open a Word document easily. So for compatibility it is not a problem.
It allows you to create an online document that many people can work on and make changes on simultaneously , making it ideal for teamwork. In addition, its main attraction is that the information is stored in the cloud, so it can be viewed and modified from any device with an Internet connection.
As for the application’s interface, it is visually attractive, fluid and intuitive, in addition, it offers powerful functions to improve the quality of documents. As support for spell checking extensions. Google Docs is part of the Google Documents Suite that also integrates Google Sheet, Google Slides and others.
How to use Google Docs without an Internet connection
Among its many functions, Google Docs allows you to download a document to consult and edit it without being connected to the Internet . Before enabling this option, consider the following aspects:
1) you must have an internet connection to change the settings, 2) it is only possible to do it through Google Chrome, 3) do not use incognito mode, 4) you must install and configure the Google Chrome extension for offline documents, and 5) verify that you have enough storage space.
On a computer
If you have a desktop computer, such as a PC or Mac, follow these steps to enable Google documents offline .
- Log into your Google account, then go to Google Drive and click on the nut located in the upper right corner.
- Then select the “Settings” option, then enable the “Offline” option and finally wait for all your documents to download.
After this, you will be able to view and modify the documents that have been downloaded. To do this, just open your browser and in the bookmarks bar, click on Applications. Then select an application based on the type of document; in this case Docs.
If you are interested, you can also work individual files , offline . To do this, do the following:
- Open the Docs application in the Chrome apps list, then find the file in question and click on the three-dot column icon; then select the option “Available offline” and finally click on “Activate”.
After that, you can view that specific document without an Internet connection, which is ideal for creating documents, slides, spreadsheets with Google Docs while traveling or in poor coverage areas.
On an Android phone
- Download the Google Docs application from the Play Store, then open the app and click on the icon with three parallel bars; that’s the menu.
- Select the option «Settings» and press the box «Activate offline access».
By enabling this option, all your files will be downloaded to the internal memory of your mobile . If you want to download individual files, just open it, press the three dots in the upper right corner, then “Settings” and finally “Enable offline”.
On iPhone and iPad
- Go to the App Store and download the Google Docs app .
- Then open the application and click on “Menu”.
- Then select “Settings”.
- And finally, select the option “Activate offline access”.
If you want only one file to be made available offline, and not all the ones you have in the Drive, just open the document, press the three dots in the corner, select “Settings” and finally “Enable offline” .
And to improve the performance of your document you can add a word counter to Google Docs documents and check how many words you have written. As you already read, this article is very useful, so try all the steps mentioned and you will see the magnificent results of this document tool