Has it happened to you that you have received a file in zip format on your iOS device and you have not been able to view it because you do not know how to open it? This is very common but it is also very easy to solve. Including being able to unzip a file from your pc , it is a fairly simple step. Zip is a format that is used to reduce the size of several files and merge them into one, which makes it easier to store and distribute them . Its operation is very similar to the way we divide and classify documents in a folder. These files can be easily identified, because at the end of the file we can see the ending “.zip”
How to Compress and Unzip ZIP Files on iOS, iPhone, iPad or iPod for Free
These processes are similar and are supported when wanting to repair files that are corrupted or damaged. As we already mentioned, this format greatly reduces the size of the files, which is a great advantage in the following aspects:
- Saves storage spaceand optimizes the operation of the devices in which they are used.
- It improves and facilitates the sending of files by email or by instant messaging applications.
- Zip files contain data encryption, making them private filesonce they enter the internet.
- They are very easy to decompress and re-compress if necessary.
However, we can also find some disadvantages in zip files , which can be:
- Not every type of file can be
- Compressing multimedia files is not recommended.
- When one of the compressed files is damaged, the other filesare damaged as well .
Without a doubt, storing files in zip format makes many tasks easier for all of us who frequently transfer files.
- How to compress and unzip zip files on iOS devices?
- Compress and Unzip Zip Files on Mac
- Compress and decompress files in zip format on iPhone and iPad.
How to compress and unzip zip files on iOS devices?
Previously, to use the zip format on iOS devices, it was necessary to have applications that would take care of this. With the iOS 11 update this is no longer necessary, although it is still essential to have an application that decompresses the RAR format . However, sometimes we can have difficulties trying to do it because we do not follow the correct steps. There are different ways to do this on iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac, iPod). Here we will show you how you can do it.
Compress and Unzip Zip Files on Mac
To compress this type of files you must follow the following steps:
- First, organize the files you want to compress, for this you must select them one by one.
- We right click on them.
- We select the option ” Compress X Items“.
Once we do this the files will be compressed and become ” compressed file.zip “. You can change the file name later. If instead what you need is to unzip, click on the file you want to unzip. Once you do this, a folder will automatically be created with each of the files already unzipped.
Compress and decompress files in zip format on iPhone and iPad.
In this case we can only do it with iOS 11 devices onwards , since they are the ones that allow us to do it easily without the need for additional applications. It is important that when doing this, your phone is up to date and that you have been able to solve any update errors that may occur. To compress a zip file on iPhone and iPad you must follow the following steps:
- Open the “Files” sectionon your device.
- Select the folder that contains the files you want to compress.
- Select the button in the upper right corner of the screen. You can recognize it by its three-point shape “…”.
- Select the “Compress”option .
This is in case you want to compress several files into one, but if you only need to compress one file, simply select the “Compress” option that will appear. You can also do this same process from your iPod device. To share files in zip format it is only necessary to select the file and choose the option “Share with …” . If you do not have an iOS device with a version higher than 11, you can use the following programs to compress and decompress the files in .zip format:
- Hamster Zip Archiver.
- 7 Zipper 2.0
- Commander one.
- Free Compressor.
- The Unarchiver.
- Better Zip.