God chose David because he looks at the heart and not the physical appearance ( 1 Samuel 16: 7 ). David was the most famous king of Israel and described in 1 Samuel 13:14 as a man after God’s own heart.
It is interesting to note that when Samuel went to the house of Jesse to identify the chosen one of God as the next King of Israel, David was the only one who was outside the house, actually working.
Look here: who was Samuel in the Bible?
What does it mean to be a man after God’s own heart?
David had some qualities and characteristics that made him chosen by God to lead His people.
- He showed respect for the authorityestablished by God, because even when he had the opportunity to kill Saul (who was his enemy and was determined to kill him), he did not.
- He had a desire to learnand was subject to the will of God;
- He was a true worshiperand had a grateful heart ;
- He had absolute faith in God;
- He was responsible;
- He had a deep love for the Law of God;
- He showed courage and courage, and he was not afraid to face giants and participate in wars;
- He was a man of integrity;
- I had a fear of God.
See also the story of David’s life.
It is important to emphasize that David was not perfect and throughout his life he had some attitudes that showed some flaws in his character.
One of the best known examples is the story in which David plans Uriah’s death in order to be able to stay with his wife, Bathsheba. Despite this, David confessed his sin to the Lord and to the prophet Nathan, showing repentance, and for that he received God’s forgiveness.