Gluten intolerance is an abnormal physiological reaction caused by poor digestion of wheat proteins.The ‘ sensitivity to gluten or wheat can occur suddenly and at any age. However, sensitivity to gluten / wheat can also be a transient phenomenon that improves if you follow a gluten-free diet.
Symptoms of gluten / wheat sensitivity
he symptoms of gluten / wheat sensitivity are manifold and manifest themselves in different ways:
- abdominal pain, also associated with a burning sensation in the mouth of the stomach, nausea and vomiting, flatulence, heaviness, constipation and diarrhea
- fatigue, numbness in the arms and legs, muscle cramps and joint pain
- headache, clouded mind, malaise, lack of energy, disorientation, circulatory problems
- eczema, red or enlarged tongue.
Therapy in case of sensitivity to gluten / wheat
The therapy for a sensitivity to gluten / wheat consists of a gluten-free diet .
The big difference from celiac disease is that the gluten-free diet. in this case, must not be for a lifetime . However, the diet should be followed for a period of at least one or two years . Only after this period can you try to ingest small amounts of gluten again . However, gluten tolerance differs from person to person and must be checked carefully.
To diagnose gluten intolerance , you must first start a gluten- free diet:
There are also some tests available for the diagnosis of celiac disease and gluten intolerance .
- For celiac disease , the positivity of anti-transglutaminase antibodies is decisive, accompanied by the positivity of the anti-gliadin, anti-endomysial antibodies, and finally the gastroduodenoscopy, with evidence of lesion of the mucous membrane, with flattening of the villi.
- One of the tests required for the search for gluten intolerance is the genetic test.It is a test that we can include in the diagnostic path, it helps us confirm or deny any predispositions to the development of celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. The genetic test is not invasive and can be done at all ages.
Foods to Avoid
- breaded foods
- gluten-free foods
Taking a supplement is essential in cases of gluten intolerance due to the damage produced in the lining of the intestine which causes a decrease in the absorption of iron , calcium and the rest of the vitamins.In fact, the only solution to gluten intolerance is the change in lifestyle and diet , but this does not mean stopping going to a restaurant and isolating yourself from the world.