Animals that crawl are called reptiles , which also show a number of characteristics in common. The word reptile comes from the term crawl , which means to move by crawling on the ground. For example: turtle, crocodile, alligator.
Reptiles are vertebrate animals with scales composed of keratin. Most of them are adapted to terrestrial life, however some also live in water. The vast majority are carnivores . They have lung respiration and a dual-circuit circulatory system.
Some reptiles manage to move without legs , like snakes. The locomotion of snakes depends on various methods, depending on the species and the time. For example, when a snake is about to attack, it cordons off and uses its energy to move quickly forward, surprising its prey .
Reptiles are ectothermic , meaning that they depend on environmental conditions to maintain their temperature . For this reason, in general each species of reptile belongs to environments with very similar characteristics, since they can only survive within a certain range of temperatures. Reproduction is internal, that is, the male deposits the sperm inside the female’s body.
- It can serve you: Homeothermic animals
Examples of crawling animals
- Chameleon . There are approximately 160 species. They are characterized by their ability to change color depending on where they are. Chameleons are predatory reptiles of worms, grasshoppers, locusts, flies, and other insects . They manage to hunt them thanks to their great visual acuity, which allows them to detect even the smallest movements.
- Crocodile . Its 14 different species are found in Africa, Asia, America and Australia. Although it is a terrestrial animal, congregates in habitats of freshwater (rivers, lakes and wetlands). To achieve the body temperature you need, as soon as the sun rises, it remains motionless in an area of clear land, to receive its heat.
- Komodo dragon . Sauropsid that lives on islands of central Indonesia. It is the largest lizard that exists. Its average length is between two and three meters. Its average weight is 70 kg. Juveniles are green with areas of other shades such as yellow and black, while adults have a uniform shade of brown or greyish red.
- Gecko . Reptile that inhabits all the warm areas of the world. It has eyes and feet larger in relation to its body than other reptiles. It exists in various shapes, colors, and sizes. They are usually camouflaged with their natural environment.
- Cayman . Also called alligator, it is a genus of crocodile. It lives in subtropical and tropical areas of America. They were hunted for a long time to use their leather. Today they are protected species and their slaughter is only allowed in hatcheries.
- Green Anaconda . Snake of South America, of an approximate length of 4 meters and a half the females and three meters the males. It is a constricting snake, meaning that it uses strangulation to kill its prey.
- Desert Iguana (Dipsosaurus dorsalis). It is very numerous in the deserts of Sonora and Majove (United States and northwestern Mexico). Each individual’s color affects their ability to obtain the necessary heat from the sun’s rays: dark-colored individuals absorb 73% of visible light and therefore of the sun’s heat. Light-colored individuals absorb only 58% of visible light. One of its methods of stabilizing body temperature is the regulation of peripheral blood flow: the vessels contract and therefore decrease the heat exchange, or they dilate (increase in size) so that the heat exchange increases. .
- Green lizard . A species of lizard (reptile) of the family Teiidae. It is located in an ecozone that spans the Argentine, Bolivian and Paraguayan Chaco. It can reach 40 cm long. It is characterized by having only four toes, unlike all the other Teiidae reptiles, which have five.
- Piton . Constrictor snake. It is not a poisonous snake, but they kill their prey by suffocation, after holding it with their powerful jaw.
- Coral snake . Venomous snake that lives in tropical areas. It is characterized by its intense yellow, red and black colors.
- Tortoise . It is characterized by having a wide and short trunk, with a shell that protects it. Its spine is welded to the shell. They do not have teeth but they do have a horny beak similar to the beak of birds . Although they shed their skin, it cannot be perceived as easily as when snakes do, as turtles shed little by little. They do not incubate their eggs but instead place them where they can get solar heat.
- Varano . Large lizard with a small head and long neck, which has a thick body, sturdy legs, and a long, strong tail. There are 79 living species, which are protected. The giant monitor, also called Perentie, can grow to eight feet long.